News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

The SAAC CEO “Cobra Enhancement Option”

Started by Cobra Jet, January 21, 2024, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra Jet

I don't recall seeing any discussion about this Fox SAAC offering, but apparently it existed back then... and someone has completed a replica of what it would have been if any were built.

https://puristmotorsports.com/stories/1993-cobra-saac-ceo-option-cobra-enhancement-option/

Has anyone else seen this and is the car still around?  Plenty of images in the above link and the owner was able to even get a set of the original F90 SAAC rims built by Simmons.
Phil

Coralsnake

From the article...

Due to a lack of support from Ford, none of these were completed. 

98SVT - was 06GT

Cool car - right up to the fake tag.
I'll wager he's the hero of every Fox body show with his 001 serial number.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CompetitionSvo

Hi all

this is my car, the CEO1 as I call it.  Built on a real 93 Cobra black/black car.  No detail was left out, from the emission decal, door jamb alteration label to the ID plates. 

I have done a couple SAAC "clones" previously, most notably the red MKII convertible I called 022.

I was lucky to have lived in Dearborn. Most of my life, was around these things came out originally. Huge fan from the beginning... I am the administrator of the "SAAC Mustangs" Facebook group. 

I couldn't have reached the level of detail without the help of Dave Eber, he was instrumental in getting this car correct.  according to Dave, they had planned on building one Cobra enhancement option vehicle, but the customer was in California and they were not able to secure a cobra with the California emission option, so the car was never built.

Bill

Quote from: CompetitionSvo on January 22, 2024, 07:44:17 PM
Hi all

this is my car, the CEO1 as I call it.  Built on a real 93 Cobra black/black car.  No detail was left out, from the emission decal, door jamb alteration label to the ID plates. 

I have done a couple SAAC "clones" previously, most notably the red MKII convertible I called 022.

I was lucky to have lived in Dearborn. Most of my life, was around these things came out originally. Huge fan from the beginning... I am the administrator of the "SAAC Mustangs" Facebook group. 

I couldn't have reached the level of detail without the help of Dave Eber, he was instrumental in getting this car correct.  according to Dave, they had planned on building one Cobra enhancement option vehicle, but the customer was in California and they were not able to secure a cobra with the California emission option, so the car was never built.

As long as it is labeled as a clone, and shown as a clone, I have no issues with it. If there is nothing on the car showing it as a clone, and you are leaving it up to the interpretation of the person looking at it, then I consider that in very poor taste. Just like someone stripping all of the power options out of a none sunroof 86 SVO and calling it a 86 comp car, when in fact, it is not. But that is just me, a cobra replica owner who always tells people what it is.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Cobra Jet

Hi all

Nice to meet you Andrew!   I'm wondering if we crossed paths in the past, as I was also a prior owner of multiple SVO's and a member of (2) of the original SVO sites, under similar user ID's on both.  I'm not on any of the other social media (FB, Insta, Tik, etc).... but a known contributor to many Mustang forums.  IMO, the forums retain "history" better than any of the other social media platforms and it's far easier to track back, reference, or research forums when and where needed.  Therefore I don't think I can even view your SAAC FB page without being a member.

I came across the article about your SAAC CEO replica and was amazed at the level of detail.  I decided to post it here, only because I myself had never heard of the SAAC CEO option nor had I ever seen your CEO replica mentioned.  Hope you don't mind the linking...

You did a great job and you're not trying to tout your vehicle as a genuine SAAC build.  What I see and interpret from the article about your replica is you did it to build what the SAAC CEO would have been - and you have actually educated the public with what you did... where some never knew there was a potential offering of such a vehicle.  It was very interesting to read how you were able to get a genuine set of the F90's made for your replica; a unique wheel needed to make the replica complete and it seemed to have surprised even yourself that Simmons entertained your request and actually popped off a set.

The interior - how long did it take you to get the upholstery done to match the SAAC materials?  Was the finding of the Recaro seats and upholsterer in Malaysia just by chance, or did you have a POC there?

What was your biggest challenge when finally going through with the build?

Very well executed build and it's nice to see your transparency too about it being a replica.  Your attention to detail and the fact that you are transparent about the build definitely goes a long way and I'm sure the car garners a lot of attention when you have it out.

I know the SAAC engine hardware dressings were also hard to find, which is another unique aspect of your build.  About 10 years or so ago, there was someone on eBay that seemed to either have a connection or bought a pallet of NOS SAAC engine hardware dressings.  They were on there rather often and the prices (then) were still high, but IMO fair for the rarity.  I'm sure others on here know the reference since SAAC Fox parts don't come around often or as "plentiful" as they were at that time.  I also recall seeing some of the SAAC exterior emblems/decal sheets too, IIRC, offered by the same seller.

If the CEO was built by SAAC back then, would its price point have been within $10k of the "standard" SAAC Fox since it was to use a 93 Cobra as its base platform?

Do you have any other projects in the works?
Phil

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bill on January 22, 2024, 09:52:29 PM
Hi all

As long as it is labeled as a clone, and shown as a clone, I have no issues with it. If there is nothing on the car showing it as a clone, and you are leaving it up to the interpretation of the person looking at it, then I consider that in very poor taste. Just like someone stripping all of the power options out of a none sunroof 86 SVO and calling it a 86 comp car, when in fact, it is not. But that is just me, a cobra replica owner who always tells people what it is.

Bill
My good friend Mark Haas had a lot of SVOs at one time including comp prep cars. He owned at the same time both of the MAC tools race cars(one raced the other one never did as the back up). IIRC I drove one of his comp prep cars to a local cruise/car show. roll up windows. Stripped of many things. Mark was the "go-to" guy for SVO parts and had a huge NOS collection of parts and I'm pretty sure that is what he traded for a brand new very long enclosed trailer(took a LONG time to get it built thanks to Covid). They said only in white and that  has always been his color of choice. We even delivered a comp prep car to a guy in STL back in 2009.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

CompetitionSvo

Mark is definitely the SVO go to! He bought the MacTools race car from me.