News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

? On what HV water pump to buy 351w 4spd A/C car

Started by PR, April 09, 2023, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR

This car always runs hot in traffic in the warm months, motor was rebuilt, new radiator installed, but I believe it's a standard water pump, looking for a HV pump, what's everyone using these days, thanks in advance for the input, it gets up to 220+ has HV thermostat,

Bob Gaines

Quote from: PR on April 09, 2023, 09:04:45 PM
This car always runs hot in traffic in the warm months, motor was rebuilt, new radiator installed, but I believe it's a standard water pump, looking for a HV pump, what's everyone using these days, thanks in advance for the input, it gets up to 220+ has HV thermostat,
Was the engine bored out when it was rebuilt if so how much. A higher volume water pump will not make a difference given the new radiator and high flow thermostat. Is the new radiator a 20 or 24 inch .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

What worked for me with my .020 overbored 351W to reduce my coolant temperatures in traffic was the following: 

1. Installed a 24 inch aluminum radiator with two 1.25 inch tubes.
2. Installed a 428cj fan, shroud, and viscuos clutch. 
3. Run a vacuum advance on full manifold vacuum so I have 20 degrees of advance at idle.

I believe item 2. Made the biggest improvement.

Excellent video on the subject.
https://youtu.be/_pc6t2Gfvyc

PR

The engine was bored 30 over it has a 24"radiator which is stock with factory ac car, has fan shroud, I did install a C6OE G clutch fan like the one on my 68 Shelby, last night I was thinking about the timing, the previous owner took off the vacuum advance and installed some type of locking device which I believe is part of the problem, I did plan on addressing that and bought a nos vacuum advance unit, looks like it's time, I have another 69 mach1 with a newly rebuilt  351w engine a little radical, built by same engine builder also ac car 4spd same fan and shroud, radiator but has high volume pump, dist at 18 degrees and it runs cool in town, thanks guys, I believe I know what needs to be addressed