News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help With Fuel Gauge Not Working

Started by Rickmustang, April 11, 2023, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickmustang

I'm working on my neighbor's factory pink/white interior 289 4-speed convertible. The gas gauge is not working, or only works inaccurately. My guess was a hole in the float. I pulled a C8 FoMoCo fuel sending unit out of the tank and the float was good. Does it matter that it is a C8 unit? I then grounded the fuel sending unit wire with the key on...the gauge did not move. How do I test the fuel sending unit? Should I test the output of the instrument panel voltage regulator? Next steps?....I'm a little stumped. Thanks.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rickmustang on April 11, 2023, 08:23:44 PM
I'm working on my neighbor's factory pink/white interior 289 4-speed convertible. The gas gauge is not working, or only works inaccurately. My guess was a hole in the float. I pulled a C8 FoMoCo fuel sending unit out of the tank and the float was good. Does it matter that it is a C8 unit? I then grounded the fuel sending unit wire with the key on...the gauge did not move. How do I test the fuel sending unit? Should I test the output of the instrument panel voltage regulator? Next steps?....I'm a little stumped. Thanks.
C8 unit will work  fine. The only difference is the 3/8 outlet vs. the factory 66 5/16 outlet . If you ground the sender wire to the gauge then the gauge should go full tilt. If not then there is at least a problem from the wire to the gauge side of the system . Wiring ,constant voltage regulator or gauge are all suspects until ruled out otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rickmustang

Thanks Bob. Would the instrument voltage regulator affect the function of the other gauges?..they seem to be ok.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rickmustang on April 11, 2023, 09:37:48 PM
Thanks Bob. Would the instrument voltage regulator affect the function of the other gauges?..they seem to be ok.
Typically the constant voltage regulator for the instruments would logically effect all the gauges if bad but with that said I recently heard of a instance where that cleared up a fuel gauge problem where all other gauges were working perfectly so the OP said. The caveat seems to be that the aftermarket instrument constant voltage regulators are unreliable so I have heard several times from others recently. NOS or confirmed good used seem to be the best choices.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757