News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 center light Shelby on Oahu, Hawaii back in 1984… any intel on it?

Started by BeaterGT500, April 12, 2023, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeaterGT500

Long shot, but I spotted a center light 67 Shelby parked on the street near Kailua, Oahu back in July of 1984.  Beat up, no stripes or badges, maybe was Nightmist blue originally but pretty worn down and faded and dents everywhere. Had Magstars on it and center grille lights.  Was someone's daily driver back then.  I was 12 but knew it was a special Mustang and made my mom take my picture standing next to it. 
Any info on of it's still alive would be cool, and I'd share my old photo with the current owner if they care to see what it looked like 40 years ago.
Adding picture taken July 1984 Pualei Circle condos near Diamond Head.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Don Johnston

Was it a GT350 or a GT500?  Also was it faded Brittany or possibly Acapulco Blue? Did you ever see the driver/owner?  Might have info.

Aloha 8)

tesgt350

BeaterGT500

I'm in Hawaii at the moment and will post the picture when I return home next week.  It may have been a faded Acapulco or Nightmist, but not Brittany blue for sure.  No Le Mans or rocker stripes at all, and being a 12 year old I didn't think to crawl underneath to see if it was a big or small block car.  I do recall it had shredded rear tires that were big bias ply and barely fit on the Mag Stars, and crappy bias ply skinnies on the front.  It also sagged a lot in the rear, like they all do.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

A nightmist blue 67 gt500 was for sale on eBay 15-20 years ago on Oahu that matches your description.  If I remember right, it had a small block in it at the time.

Jon

daltondavid

I am pretty certain there was a nightmist blue car there. and I also remember the ebay auction car and the different engine situation. I had a friend who was in the Navy stationed in Hawaii and he told me about the car when he saw mine many moons ago. its funny how a sighting from childhood stays with us forever....
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

GT350DAVE

That may have been #2091. The car was there from 1971 to 2007. It is presently in Australia.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

BeaterGT500

Added the pic from 1984 to the original post.  It's Nightmist for sure, sits high in front like a GT350 would, thinking it's likely the car Dave says it is, now in Australia.  At the time my dad's daily driver was a restored 68 Mustang GT fastback, candyapple red four speed.  He drove me to school in that car through ice and snow in PA from 5th grade until 9th grade.  Needless to say that made me a Mustang kid for life, and seeing this '67 Shelby all beat up but still being driven made an impact on me for sure.  Kinda crazy that 40 years later I'm building one myself.