News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct Paint for the 67/68 9" Rear End Housing

Started by Kent, April 13, 2023, 05:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

hello, what is the correct paint for the 9" rear end housing? I know its a satin black but what kind of paint was it? epoxy, alkyd, etc. I just try to figure it the right way. I think they were no primered before the paint. Maybe someone can help me.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

I dont think "satin" black was used. To me that implies it has some sparkle. Ford used a  semi gloss black enamel on original housings. No primer was used.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 13, 2023, 07:07:09 AM
I dont think "satin" black was used. To me that implies it has some sparkle. Ford used a  semi gloss black enamel on original housings. No primer was used.
+1 .There was a somewhat of a range in between too shiny or too dull. The paint could vary in sheen depending on batch,humidity etc. when it was shot at the mfg.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

Yes translation, satin black in Germany is what you call semi gloss. So someone has an idea about what they used as paint? Epoxy, or is there an advice which brand is ok to use?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

Kent

Ok so its the same style of paint like they used for the engines? So which brand is ok to use for the rear ends?

Coralsnake

Sorry, I guess I dont see why the brand is important?

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Kent on April 15, 2023, 01:13:14 AM
Ok so its the same style of paint like they used for the engines? So which brand is ok to use for the rear ends?
I've used rattle  cans and I have used single stage PPG black  with a hardener and flattening agent and both held up well over time. Prep is always the key.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bossbill

Are you using a spray can or a custom mix in a spray gun?
What brands are are available there?

In spray cans I've noticed that SEM semi gloss is flatter than the Rustoleum semi gloss. And even within the Rustoleum brand there are differences between Fusion and other mixes.

I shot mine in SEM semi gloss from their canned product line. It matches the gloss of their can.
Either way I thought it too flat and reshot it.

Personally I like the "look" of Rustoleum in a can for many semi gloss applications.

Note too that the high temp semi gloss  version of some brands is shinier than their regular mix.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bossbill on April 15, 2023, 10:09:40 AM

Are you using a spray can or a custom mix in a spray gun?
What brands are are available there?

In spray cans I've noticed that SEM semi gloss is flatter than the Rustoleum semi gloss. And even within the Rustoleum brand there are differences between Fusion and other mixes.

I shot mine in SEM semi gloss from their canned product line. It matches the gloss of their can.
Either way I thought it too flat and reshot it.

Personally I like the "look" of Rustoleum in a can for many semi gloss applications.

Note too that the high temp semi gloss  version of some brands is shinier than their regular mix.
Lets see depending on how I want contrasts in parts using rattle cans  I have the Krylon "industrial" 1613 which dries REAL FAST which I like. I got 2 cases from a friend who ordered it and went to another direction on his engine bay. I have used Krylon "rust tough" semi flat, Rustoleum painter's touch in semi gloss and also satin. Mostly semi gloss. temp humidity etc and I just either like the look or use something else for the conditions.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Kent

I can paint with rattle cans and also with a spray gun, I also have access to powder coating. So that's not a problem. In Germany we can buy VHT Paint and I think they have an enamel paint in satin black. Did someone tried these? How close is it to original? And is powdercoating maybe an option?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on April 16, 2023, 01:28:11 AM
................... How close is it to original? And is powdercoating maybe an option?

If your going for the original look then powder coating IMHO is not an option.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Kent on April 16, 2023, 01:28:11 AM
I can paint with rattle cans and also with a spray gun, I also have access to powder coating. So that's not a problem. In Germany we can buy VHT Paint and I think they have an enamel paint in satin black. Did someone tried these? How close is it to original? And is powdercoating maybe an option?
here is the original paint on a rear axle housing.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Royce Peterson

I typically have the rear end housing and backing plates bead blasted then powder coated semi gloss black.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock