News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KR tilt mechanism

Started by Jack4159, April 16, 2023, 01:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

With all the challenge and subsequent excitement of getting the "away" setup working perfectly I completely forgot about the "tilt".
Am I correct in thinking I should be able to set the angle of the wheel (through a vertical plane only, not the away motion) by pushing the indicator stalk away from me?
When I try this the stalk moves away when pushed but the wheel remains stubbornly locked in place.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Coralsnake

That is correct

Pushing the turn signal away from you or towards the dash should allow the wheel to be in one of nine positions
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Jack4159

Thanks Pete, hopefully I can sort it without pulling the column.

Coralsnake

Have you tried pushing the stalk way down where it comes out of the column?

It may be flexing

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 19, 2023, 10:55:45 AM
Have you tried pushing the stalk way down where it comes out of the column?

It may be flexing

Thanks Pete, gave it a try but no luck.I will get the workshop manual on the tilt column and hopefully that will help to work it out.

Jack4159

Not much done on the KR last 6 months due to a bad case of sciatica and now waiting on the panel shop for some minor touch ups/repairs where I screwed up.
Anyway I finally solved the tilt problem described in this thread, posting in case it helps someone down the track.
As described the tilt-away function is working perfectly but the tilt, not at all.
My problem was that the indicator lever/stalk should have a collet at the bottom, I'm not sure what it is made of as neither my original nor the new lever I bought have it. If your tilt is not working(mine was locked in one position) you can test if this is your problem by positioning a screwdriver in behind the indicator lever on the dash side and pushing the stalk towards the dash should then activate the tilt.
The collet fits up over the lever from the bottom end and looks to be about twice the thickness of the stalk and maybe 1/2" long(rough guess from pics I found.)
Hope that helps someone, sometime.

GT350AUS

Hi Jack quick question if you don't mind, where are located?

Clearly I'm in Australia and was wonder if you were too.

I've got a KR too with tilt issues I thought you might be able to help

shelbydoug

I have my '68 since 1972. I still can't get the pop release to work on mine even with encouragement from "Coralsnake" that "you can do it".

I am NOT in Australia but I used to collect "Australian Proof Sets". Does that count?

Sounds like an incomplete mis-matched collection of specific factors to me?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

GT350AUS Step1: do you have vacuum under the dash where the line comes in the passenger compartment?

Check this when car is running.

Disconnect the vacuum line from the tilt mechanism and check for suction.

Let us know...

GT350AUS

Hi guys,

Shelbydoug, I don't know who Australian prof sets are and couldn't find them on Google

Pete, yep vacuum is there and it has worked but just doesn't want to flick back, the sensor works when the door is opened so maybe it's a cable problem?

Coralsnake

The next step I would suggest is to drop the underdash mechanism and test the three components individually

Jack4159

Quote from: GT350AUS on September 21, 2023, 12:09:00 AM
Hi Jack quick question if you don't mind, where are located?

Clearly I'm in Australia and was wonder if you were too.

I've got a KR too with tilt issues I thought you might be able to help
I'm in Kojonup in WA.If you PM me your email I will send you the manual and troubleshooting guide for tilt/tilt away,happy to help if I can.

GT350AUS

Thanks Jack.

I'll PM shortly

Coralsnake

highland green

Thanks Jack. my tilt would not move all of the time. After reading your post. I took a 1/2 inch length of vacuum hose and forced it over the signal leaver. It did the trick.