News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Corvette banned from competition UPDATE now it's OK

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, April 24, 2023, 10:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Will SAAC follow suit and ban the Shelby Mach-E from open trace events?

The National Council of Corvette Clubs has made a major change to its competition rules, banning all EV and hybrid cars from sanctioned competition. That means the E-Ray, a new high-performance hybrid that uses a 1.9-KwH battery pack to greatly improve performance under acceleration, is effectively banned from appearing on track in events sanctioned by the group.
......notes that the relevant update to the organization's rule book also requires battery-assisted cars to be parked 30 feet from buildings and other vehicles. While the NCCC has not given a specific reason for the ban, Corvette Forum speculates that it could be related to existing concerns by tracks like Summit Point Raceway about fires involving lithium ion batteries.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

I'll give this one a triple AAA.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

daltondavid

so they Pulled the plug on the ev Corvette! {I could not resist...}
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

shelbydoug

Quote from: daltondavid on April 28, 2023, 06:18:08 PM
so they Pulled the plug on the ev Corvette! {I could not resist...}

That's shocking.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68countrysedan

QuoteWill SAAC follow suit and ban the Shelby Mach-E from open trace events?

Would be interesting to see what would happen if a Shelby Mach E GT was flogged around Streets of Willow course. Handling characteristics? Battery overheating?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 68countrysedan on April 28, 2023, 08:57:38 PM
QuoteWill SAAC follow suit and ban the Shelby Mach-E from open trace events?

Would be interesting to see what would happen if a Shelby Mach E GT was flogged around Streets of Willow course. Handling characteristics? Battery overheating?
Shelby developed the handling on theirs at Spring Mountain - they didn't publicize any problems or lap times. All their remapping of the acceleration curves and built in limits not to damage the batteries probably help. I do know everyone who has driven it around Vegas was delighted at being able to out accelerate anything they came up against. I wonder how big a selling point a "free" year of Team Shelby is to people spending 30 grand to mod their EV.

As to why Shelby American decided to sell its first EV exclusively in Europe, U.S. residents have only themselves to blame. The tuning house says that Europeans are simply adopting EVs at a faster rate.

"We elected to initially offer the Shelby Mustang Mach-E GT only in Europe because sales of EVs are growing much more rapidly there than in the USA," said Aaron Shelby, Board Member of Carroll Shelby International. "And from 2016 to 2021, the number of public EV charging stations increased by 431 percent across Europe. It just makes good business sense for Shelby American."

In addition to the vehicle, Mustang Mach-E GT owners who opt to have this package added to their vehicle also get a one-year paid membership to Team Shelby, and will be eligible to have their vehicle documented in the official Shelby Registry.

The package costs €24,900 ($27,481 USD at current exchange rates) on top of the price of the base vehicle. Production will start in Europe in July.

A Mustang Mach E AWD posted the best acceleration times and shortest stopping distance of all vehicles tested at the most recent Michigan State Police vehicle testing at the Chelsea Proving Grounds.  It also had the slowest lap times of all vehicles tested at Grattan Raceway. 

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Don Johnston

Well, either the battery temp. got to the point that power was restricted to prevent damage, or, they were taking it easy as the most important part was it "passed the test".......

98SVT - was 06GT