News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Use of a 1967 HiPo Carb on a 1966 Hertz

Started by SHELB66, July 10, 2023, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELB66

Several years ago I was able to acquire an original '67 HiPo Autolite 4100 carb.  Tag number is C7ZF-B which according to Bob Mannel's great book decodes as being for a California '67 K-code Mustang with Thermactor exhaust emission system and 4-spd.  Per his book there are differences between this '67 carb and the correct C6ZF-F carb for the '66 Hertz with automatic trans.  My question is would I be able to use this carb, without jet/booster changes, on my Hertz?  There is a Holley on there now from a 390 GT Comet!  The '67 carb was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago by Kurt at KP Carbs.  This is a rare carb when compared to K-code Mustang production numbers for '67.  Ideally it would be nice to swap this carb for one that's correct for for my Hertz.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SHELB66 on July 10, 2023, 03:17:45 PM
Several years ago I was able to acquire an original '67 HiPo Autolite 4100 carb.  Tag number is C7ZF-B which according to Bob Mannel's great book decodes as being for a California '67 K-code Mustang with Thermactor exhaust emission system and 4-spd.  Per his book there are differences between this '67 carb and the correct C6ZF-F carb for the '66 Hertz with automatic trans.  My question is would I be able to use this carb, without jet/booster changes, on my Hertz?  There is a Holley on there now from a 390 GT Comet!  The '67 carb was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago by Kurt at KP Carbs.  This is a rare carb when compared to K-code Mustang production numbers for '67.  Ideally it would be nice to swap this carb for one that's correct for for my Hertz.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Craig R.
My input is that it will look more factory correct then the Holley carb that you have on there now so a better place holder in looks until you find the correct carb IMO. Upon close inspection however it will be determined as incorrect for the application as well. Of course it is about choices and expectations as it relates to your car. The 67 carb my be determined good enough. It is all up to you.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELB66

Thanks, Bob!  My goal at this point is to replace the "definitely not correct" carb with a "semi correct" '67 carb in hopes that driveability will be acceptable without making carb changes other than the typical adjustments.  The '67 carb was purchased at a very good price and that's how I wound up with it.  My car will always be a driver and hopefully a "good looker" too.  It currently still has some incorrect items which I am slowly replacing with correct and semi correct items such as a repo hipo fan that replaced the incorrect flex fan that was on there when I purchased it.  That fan just had to go!  I don't have to have an original fan but do scour the parts at the swap meets always on the lookout for hipo parts mixed in with the "regular" parts.  Information from this forum has helped to make identification of such parts much easier.  If something shows up, I'll be ready!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

J_Speegle

Agree a much better stand in for the original and possible trading material for the correct one.

From your self-identified need and want at this time seems to be a fit currently

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SHELB66

My intention was always to use this carb (C7ZF-B) on my Hertz.  Now that I'm finally getting around to doing some serious work on the car I know questions will arise.  My real question here is does it seem feasible that this carb will work just fine on my car knowing that the specs differ from those of the carb (C6ZF-F) that should be on there.  Does anyone foresee any issues that I might come across based on these differences.  Thanks!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

J_Speegle

Quote from: SHELB66 on July 11, 2023, 12:04:24 AM
...................Does anyone foresee any issues that I might come across based on these differences.  Thanks!

Can't think of any issues that should cause a concern for drivability

Not sure if your using the anti-stall also
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SHELB66

^^^ Good point, Jeff!  I can always attach an anti-stall dashpot from one of my parts carbs if needed.  Thanks!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac