News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Can't Install Brake Drum After Shoe Replacement

Started by SHELB66, May 02, 2023, 09:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekz

A few pages later a smaller picture does show the pivot plate.  Interesting the larger pictures do not.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Lincoln tech

If it was not intended to be used he may not have enough room to install one , anyway with or without will not cause the problem he's having. Ford shop manuals or parts catalogs were never perfect . Only my opinion  :)

greekz

Quote from: Lincoln tech on May 03, 2023, 01:37:17 PM
If it was not intended to be used he may not have enough room to install one , anyway with or without will not cause the problem he's having. Ford shop manuals or parts catalogs were never perfect . Only my opinion  :)

That is true.  Neither of my cars have the pivot plate, as well as many cars that I have done brake shoe replacement.  I have found them on other '50's and '60's Ford vehicles. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 03, 2023, 12:51:43 PM
I have seen the shoes cut for this reason. My past impression was that they were out of round but I didn't think about it that much.

If you look at the wear pattern on a broken in set you will rarely see a full contact pattern.

The set of shoes that I have are sectioned in three parts and you can clearly see a metallic content to them on the edges.

I'm wondering if the sectioning is an attempt at "correcting" this issue?
The segments on the brake shoes like the ones used in the 65/66 Shelby's and sold aftermarket to the high performance crowd are supposed to provide better braking in competition. The Shelby ones and the aftermarket high performance versions were of a semi metallic materiel.   The spaces between the segments better get rid of brake wear material,water sand ,mud etc. so that optimal contact between the lining material and the drum surface can be maintained. This is compared to the same non segmented shoe. Probably better dissipation of heat compared to non segmented too. Today I think instead of the individual segments the pad material has a groove made into it. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TA Coupe

Have you tried swapping drums side to side to see if That will help you with more information?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Lincoln tech

Quote from: greekz on May 03, 2023, 01:47:49 PM
Quote from: Lincoln tech on May 03, 2023, 01:37:17 PM

That is true.  Neither of my cars have the pivot plate, as well as many cars that I have done brake shoe replacement.  I have found them on other '50's and '60's Ford vehicles.
Some people would just decide to throw them away along with parking brake link spring retainer just because those items made the job a little too hard  ???

Side-Oilers

^^^ How long (in years/decades) since those babies were last changed?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

SHELB66

^^^^  Car was purchased in 2004 and was supposedly taken to the brake shop after the chassis work was finished.  I highly doubt anything was done other than maybe some minor adjustments and topping off the brake fluid.  Before my purchase, car spent many years on the east coast which led to lots of rust.  The wheel cylinder bleeder screw was nearly rusted away!  I'll probably wind up purchasing lots of new parts and have my repair shop replace almost everything.  Many of the fittings won't budge even using Blaster and a line wrench.  Probably best to go with all new parts.  Backing plates are pretty rusty so I may have to source some replacements.  Having an arthritic knee makes doing repairs that I usually did now very difficult.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

SHELB66

Quote from: TA Coupe on May 03, 2023, 04:44:09 PM
Have you tried swapping drums side to side to see if That will help you with more information?

Roy

I'll be doing that in the next couple of days to see what I'm dealing with.  Since my whole assembly seems to be off center I need to focus on the cause.  Thanks!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

J_Speegle

Quote from: SHELB66 on May 03, 2023, 11:09:45 PM
I'll be doing that in the next couple of days to see what I'm dealing with.  Since my whole assembly seems to be off center I need to focus on the cause.  Thanks!

Craig R.

For me sometimes the whole brake assembly just needs a heavy hand slap from side to side for the shoes and touching parts find their true center. Just what has worked for me over the years. Nothing fancy but maybe worth a try.

Parents and others have often told me I was "heavy handed "  ::) over the years  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Lincoln tech

Quote from: SHELB66 on May 03, 2023, 10:24:59 PM
^^^^  Car was purchased in 2004 and was supposedly taken to the brake shop after the chassis work was finished.  I highly doubt anything was done other than maybe some minor adjustments and topping off the brake fluid.  Before my purchase, car spent many years on the east coast which led to lots of rust.  The wheel cylinder bleeder screw was nearly rusted away!  I'll probably wind up purchasing lots of new parts and have my repair shop replace almost everything.  Many of the fittings won't budge even using Blaster and a line wrench.  Probably best to go with all new parts.  Backing plates are pretty rusty so I may have to source some replacements.  Having an arthritic knee makes doing repairs that I usually did now very difficult.

Craig R.
Mechanics stool works real good for us old guys  ;) shame we live so far from each other , I would gladly come over and help you with this . Check that parking brake cable .

SHELB66

Quote from: J_Speegle on May 04, 2023, 04:13:33 AM
Quote from: SHELB66 on May 03, 2023, 11:09:45 PM

Craig R.

For me sometimes the whole brake assembly just needs a heavy hand slap from side to side for the shoes and touching parts find their true center. Just what has worked for me over the years. Nothing fancy but maybe worth a try.

Parents and others have often told me I was "heavy handed "  ::) over the years  :)

My dad taught me how to do drum brakes many years ago.  He would say that when the job was finished one should be able to swing the whole shoe assembly from side to side by gripping the bottom.  The whole assembly should move smoothly.  Mine doesn't!  The left shoe wants to move up and away from the pivot pin.  I'll be taking everything off when I install the pivot plate and will check the emergency brake mechanism, wheel cylinder,  backing plate, etc.  Hopefully something will surface.  Thanks, Jeff!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

J_Speegle

While you have everything off, though you might have already checked these, see if the pads the shoes ride on, on the backing plate, are smooth and not grooved or other wise damaged. Some times it can be the smallest and simple things
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kram350

Is your cross bar on the shoe or the e-brake lever?

SHELB66

^^^  The spring loaded side is on the shoe while the other side is on the lever.  Same on right rear.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac