Author Topic: Can't Install Brake Drum After Shoe Replacement  (Read 3355 times)

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Install Brake Drum After Shoe Replacement
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2023, 09:11:45 PM »
In addition, make sure the emergency brake cable is completely releasing. Lightly tap on the lever/cable hardware behind the secondary shoe. A small movement will allow a increased air gap.

Turned out this was the problem.  Apparently the emergency brake cable, even though released inside the car, is not fully releasing in the rear.  That was probably my initial problem.  For now I just disconnected the cable from the lever inside the drum.  Everything fits fine.  Since this car was exposed to the elements for many years it will be receiving lots of new replacement brake parts for safety's sake.  Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry.  Much appreciated!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2023, 10:04:14 PM »
I appreciate the closure post because I had been wondering and I am sure others too what the problem was.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2023, 11:35:58 PM »
I just got back to working on the car today.  I'd work on it everyday if I could!  There's just too much else going on right now that carries a higher priority (at least that's what my wife says).

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2023, 09:00:04 AM »
I told you we'll get this thing fixed  ;)   Nice work Graig.

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »
Good job!  It is hard to fit the fun work in between the honey-do's.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2023, 11:03:18 AM »
Glad to see you found the problem. Collectively we usually can help narrow down electrical /mechanical issues.

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2023, 09:51:47 AM »
My Hertz now has all new brake components from front to rear excluding rear drums and backing plates (thank goodness!).  All is good and I'm back on the road again.  I almost forgot how fun it is to drive this car!  Time to move on to the next item on the "66 Hertz" list.  Thanks again for everyone's assistance.  I know that more questions will be coming!

Craig R. 
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac