News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

First start of the year

Started by deathsled, May 04, 2023, 03:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I am smelling a lot of unburnt gasoline. Running quite rich it seems. I will have to research the problem. I guess it relates t I the idle mixture screws.
https://youtube.com/shorts/zCZlW0fwN9o?feature=share

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

NC TRACKRAT

I know I'm "preachin' to the choir" but just be sure you don't have a fuel line fitting leak or cracked hose at the tank to fuel line or the hose from the fuel pump to the carb line.
5S071, 6S1467

trotrof1

Float seats might could be leaking.

FL SAAC

Nothing like the sound of a old boat in the morning or the fresh smell of napalm  !

All kidding aside, have you thanked the ethanol makers of the world lately.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

All good advice that I was heretofore unaware of. I have just enough knowledge to get me in trouble.  Also there was some backfiring out of the carb from time to time on acceleration. The carb is a Holley 650 double pumper but it is 10 years old. Maybe the ethanol has destroyed something inside the carb in addition to your suggestions? I don't think it's riming because the distributor is not loose so I suspect hasn't moved.

BDT 739

A few years my power valves on my dual quads were loose maybe because of the ethanal. New gaskets are teflon and have no problems sense rebuild.

Rbwiii

Sounds like the floats are stuck on the carberator,this happens to me alot when i don't regularly drive the cars. Take a soft headed hammer and  tap both float adjustment screw cover caps on the carberator four or five times. Should solve the problem.

deathsled

Quote from: Rbwiii on May 04, 2023, 08:15:39 PM
Sounds like the floats are stuck on the carberator,this happens to me alot when i don't regularly drive the cars. Take a soft headed hammer and  tap both float adjustment screw cover caps on the carberator four or five times. Should solve the problem.
I will try that as well.  Thank you!

shelbydoug

It is unlikely that the floats are sticking now that you have the car running.

Usually that is just a momentary thing since the Viton Holley uses in the inlet valves has a small tendency to react to the ethanol and they stick CLOSED, not open. Tapping the carb frees that and the droping of the float alows the valve to open.

It is MUCH more likely that the power valve has failed in some manor. It is a diaphragm device and they are very susceptible to failing due to backfiring of the engine.

I do not know of any way to verify that other then to disassemble the carb and use a power valve tester to verify that but you have the symptoms.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!