Author Topic: GT500 sway bar to balancer clearance - wrong end links?  (Read 1001 times)

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
GT500 sway bar to balancer clearance - wrong end links?
« on: May 09, 2023, 11:17:51 PM »
While putting the original sway bar back on GT500 number 683, the end links seem to be too short - when the car is suspended on a 2 post lift with suspension hanging, the sway bar hits the balancer.
Was there a special end link kit for these cars?  Anyone have the end link bolt and spacer measurements?  It’s the correct balancer with the chamfered edges.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: GT500 sway bar to balancer clearance - wrong end links?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 12:43:09 AM »
While putting the original sway bar back on GT500 number 683, the end links seem to be too short - when the car is suspended on a 2 post lift with suspension hanging, the sway bar hits the balancer.
Was there a special end link kit for these cars?  Anyone have the end link bolt and spacer measurements?  It’s the correct balancer with the chamfered edges.
If you are using the end link kit called for a 67 Mustang then yes it will be too short. The 67 Shelby with it's "competition suspension"(name of option) sway bar used a different end link kit compared to a regular 67 Mustang. You need to get a end link kit for a 68-70 Mustang and the tube and bolts will be the correct length. FYI the 67 competition suspension bolts are fine thread compare to 68-70 coarse thread and the head markings are different. Those nuance details will be lost on most but given your past driver don't break the bank restoration explanation the 68-70 regular Mustang kit will be fine unless you are prepping for concours. I would advise spending the money to buy the AMK kit however. NPD sells it and I think their part number ends in AK for a AMK product in their catalog. confirm when ordering. The autoparts store and cheaper alternatives tend to be the wrong length in my experience. This advise is in the context of a 67 Shelby.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:45:26 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 07:29:58 AM »
I was under the impression that what was originally installed on '67 GT500's was the short links?

From what I have seen, it is very common to have the original sway bar on '67 GT500's "notched" caused by this interference.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 08:52:55 AM »
I was under the impression that what was originally installed on '67 GT500's was the short links?

From what I have seen, it is very common to have the original sway bar on '67 GT500's "notched" caused by this interference.
No the 67 Shelby got the long end links from the factory. Even with the longer end links it is still possible for the sway bar to make contact with the larger diameter C6AE balancer at full suspension travel. That is the only reason I can think of why Ford changed the shape of the sway bar for 69/70 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 09:23:32 PM »
  It would be excellent to have the length of the tube used on the links.  Then we'd know if that was part of the issue or not.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 03:48:08 PM »
  Bump.  Still would like this measurement.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 04:33:39 PM »
  Bump.  Still would like this measurement.
I don't have one handy but they are readily available because the measurement is the same as the 68,70 ,70 version. 65,66,regular 67 are the shorter ones . The competition 67 is the longer style tube identical to the 68-70 regular Mustang end link tube.