Author Topic: CSX3090 coming up for auction.  (Read 1345 times)

Grumpy

• View Profile
CSX3090 coming up for auction.
« on: May 11, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »
Ok this is one of the new Mike McCluskey's 427 SC  commissioned by Carroll Shelby to continue production to fulfill the obligation to build the final 30 ‘CSX3000 series’ 427 SC cars.
From the auction..
Shelby American, Inc., Los Angeles, California dash plaque
Notarized MSO hand-signed by Carroll Shelby

I vaguely remember Shelby couldn't register them. Thought they could only be race cars.. ??  Can you register it with an MSO ?? 

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
Re: CSX3090 coming up for auction.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 06:18:54 PM »
The auction listing also says

Please note this car will be offered on the historic MSO. The winning bidder will have the option of purchasing the car on a bill of sale with the original MSO included or the option of receiving a title, which will require the surrender of the MSO

Here is the link:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/562038/1965-shelby-427-cobra-roadster/

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 07:58:55 PM »
I did see that. So if ya have a title shouldn't you then be able to register it an drive it ?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 08:05:53 PM »
I did see that. So if ya have a title shouldn't you then be able to register it an drive it ?

Title and registration are two different things in many states. Know a number of friends that had title but the cars were not or could not be registered for one of a number of reasons as well as choice.

Come to think of it I have one car that is not registered and hasn't been for 30 years. Don't recall if that one was non-oped Sure at some point, if I registered it  the state would want a bunch of money if I didn't have a non-op on it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 08:14:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 01:32:20 AM »

Title and registration are two different things in many states. Know a number of friends that had title but the cars were not or could not be registered for one of a number of reasons as well as choice.

Come to think of it I have one car that is not registered and hasn't been for 30 years. Don't recall if that one was non-oped Sure at some point, if I registered it  the state would want a bunch of money if I didn't have a non-op on it.
.       Actually ,at least in Ca. after a certain amount of time it goes” off  the grid” and there is no longer a record of it in the D.M.V.  database.You start it as a new registration.No back fees.My car was unregistered ,but not non oped for over 20 years and the only hiccup,which was an easy fix,was getting the original black/gold Cali. Plates reassigned to the car.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 12:55:54 PM »

Like Jeff says it depends on the state and what year the car becomes on the title. If it's a 1965 it will be pretty simple. If the title is in the actual year of manufacture - say for example it's 1995 - it's going to be only legal to drive on race tracks.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »
Ok this is one of the new Mike McCluskey's 427 SC  commissioned by Carroll Shelby to continue production to fulfill the obligation to build the final 30 ‘CSX3000 series’ 427 SC cars.
From the auction..
Shelby American, Inc., Los Angeles, California dash plaque
Notarized MSO hand-signed by Carroll Shelby

I vaguely remember Shelby couldn't register them. Thought they could only be race cars.. ??  Can you register it with an MSO ??
I remember when myself Ed Meyer and other SAAC members were in a one on one session with CS during a SAAC organized ocean cruise where Shelby explained that when he was interviewed and revealed that he was going to finish the run of SC Cobras that he had the legal right on paper to do. The reporter didn't understand the concept of the  right to build vs. the physical chassis and took it that CS must have had the frames in some warehouse all those years . The story exploded and since the story sounded better then reality he stood by and let the press run with it. He said you had deniability since he never claimed that he had the physical chassis and it was a mistake on the part of the press media and not his . Those same cars that were at the time called continuation cars were not allowed to be driven legally on CA roads after a disgruntled ex CS employee spilled the beans to the CA DOT that the cars were modern manufactured. They could only be registered in CA as for off road only.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 04:11:23 PM »
If the CSX# is one of the scam cars that CS "found" in his TX warehouse. He already created the MSOs for those cars and surrendered them to CA DMV when he got titles to the aprox 50 cars. CA DMV was alerted to the fact that these were 100% new cars he was creating and had no historic 1960s ties. CA DMV cancelled those titles. I don't know the outcome of the titles if CS kept/shredded them or they went back to CA DMV. When he first AGAIN offered them it was to be as a track car only that could not be street registered. Kopec had me go to SA to take photos of the cars and parts. We went over to McClusky's and at that time one was complete and a couple more were in process - one was going to Japan and the other was not yet sold. I never followed up on totals sold/delivered. The DMV fiasco pretty much killed the builds but McClusky had enough new parts to build all the cars. Someone could look up the article in the SAAC magazine. It was written before DMV stepped in.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 04:18:16 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 05:26:15 PM »
I recall CS bringing one of the Cobras to SAAC-17 in Portland and giving track rides.  I do not know the CSX number. 8)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 06:12:39 PM »

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »
Well this is one of those cars. Will be interesting how they sell it.

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 04:18:25 PM »
No Sale at 800k bid