News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

help with a cam choice for a 1969 Intermeccanica Italia 302

Started by Harris Speedster, May 11, 2023, 09:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

Guys,
Building a basic 302, 68 date coded, with basic stock heads.
I will use the 4300 Ford carb, cast intake,stock distributor, triple tree vacuum etc, being built for Ford, SAAC and Italian Invitational use.
I am going to balance the lower end.
I would like a hyd cam that comes on around 2500 and fizzles out around 6.5 K
My buddy Bill mentioned a hyd cam by crane, that has real close specs to a 65-66 shelby cam.
That idle, sound and lope is fine with me,

Want to get it ordered, please voice a few modern day specs you guys think will suit expectations !
last time I built a 289/302 was in mid 1990's, kind of out of touch.
Thank you guys
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Cobrask8

When building my 331 for my FFR, I put this together. The cams here may be a bit on the healthier side. My motor is based on a 1970 302 block, SCAT crank kit, 10.6:1 compression, has the AFR 185 heads and the open plenum Intake, so it's a step up from a K-style build. My Horsepower is around 450.

Look at a roller cam, and use the hydraulic link-bar roller lifters.

Attached is a spreadsheet I made up when selecting my cam. I chose the Howards cam (in yellow), very happy with it, the car has a great idle, and kills inside the  power band.

Dan

Harris Speedster

Dan,
Thanks for the reply.
I never thought about a roller cam, I like that idea.

I am probably best to hang in the 2400- 6000 rpm range for power band.
Will dissect the specs on the cams you included.
Truly appreciate it.
Not sure, but I would think a stock 1968 302 from ford is maybe around 8.5-9 compression ratio.?

Kind of a zoo when going on line on the inner web to look, the manufacturer's make claims, BUT>> I like real life advice and experience.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Cobrask8

John,

Happy to Provide!!! I too was very wary and unsure when it comes to cam selection. So many choices, manufacturers, and more. Choose the wrong one, it's big work to change.

I made this chart by taking the last cam I had and worked well, and looking at many others in the same range, and built this spread sheet, listed each cam, averaged each column, and then chose one that was closest to the results, and erred on the conservative side.

Also agreed, this exact thread, asking for personal experience is the best way!!

(You could always buy a nice set of Edelbrock alum heads, paint them blue......)

Dan

crossboss

Go with the tried and true Ford Motorsport aka Ford Racing B-303 hyd roller cam.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

Quote from: Cobrask8 on May 12, 2023, 07:45:26 AM
When building my 331 for my FFR, I put this together. The cams here may be a bit on the healthier side. My motor is based on a 1970 302 block, SCAT crank kit, 10.6:1 compression, has the AFR 185 heads and the open plenum Intake, so it's a step up from a K-style build. My Horsepower is around 450.

Look at a roller cam, and use the hydraulic link-bar roller lifters.

Attached is a spreadsheet I made up when selecting my cam. I chose the Howards cam (in yellow), very happy with it, the car has a great idle, and kills inside the  power band.

Dan

+1
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Quote from: Cobrask8 on May 12, 2023, 10:42:16 AM
John,

Happy to Provide!!! I too was very wary and unsure when it comes to cam selection. So many choices, manufacturers, and more. Choose the wrong one, it's big work to change.

I made this chart by taking the last cam I had and worked well, and looking at many others in the same range, and built this spread sheet, listed each cam, averaged each column, and then chose one that was closest to the results, and erred on the conservative side.

Also agreed, this exact thread, asking for personal experience is the best way!!

(You could always buy a nice set of Edelbrock alum heads, paint them blue......)

Dan

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on May 12, 2023, 10:22:31 AM
Dan,
Thanks for the reply.
I never thought about a roller cam, I like that idea.

I am probably best to hang in the 2400- 6000 rpm range for power band.
Will dissect the specs on the cams you included.
Truly appreciate it.
Not sure, but I would think a stock 1968 302 from ford is maybe around 8.5-9 compression ratio.?

Kind of a zoo when going on line on the inner web to look, the manufacturer's make claims, BUT>> I like real life advice and experience.
John
If all else fails check the Ford published shop manuals. The 1968 Service Specification manual list the 302 with 9.5:1 for a 2V and 10.5:1 for 4V .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Bob,
I need to do a lot more research about the engine kit I was thinking about buying.
I would hope that their pistons are 10.5 compression
If not, back to the inner web.
Cobrask8, crossboss,
I will go spec to spec and hydraulic rollers/cam.

Would love to really make it a fire breather, alum heads etc, but in this case, it could be a real negative.
Most parts for the Italia stayed packed away
But bell housings and flywheels did not >> A 68 302 4V had a 157 tooth flywheel and a C5 - A bell housing, correct ?
Thanks guys.
John

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on May 12, 2023, 02:03:20 PM
Bob,
I need to do a lot more research about the engine kit I was thinking about buying.
I would hope that their pistons are 10.5 compression
If not, back to the inner web.
Cobrask8, crossboss,
I will go spec to spec and hydraulic rollers/cam.

Would love to really make it a fire breather, alum heads etc, but in this case, it could be a real negative.
Most parts for the Italia stayed packed away
But bell housings and flywheels did not >> A 68 302 4V had a 157 tooth flywheel and a C5 - A bell housing, correct ?
Thanks guys.
John
You asked about "a stock 1968 302 from ford" compression ratio and what i posted is what Ford say it is. The 68 302 used a 164 tooth flywheel ,C5AA-6394-B marked 164 tooth bellhousing and special for 164 tooth 4 speed starter. If common automatic or otherwise wrong starter is used on the 164 tooth flywheel tooth damage will result. The starter has what appears to be a longer nose cone when compared to the common automatic version. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Bob,
Thank you, saved me again.
I do have the larger bell housing, it actually has a stud hole built in it for the Z Bar, C5-B
I do have a 164 tooth flywheel, ring gear is dam near as large as the surface of the fly wheel.
I believe a C7 #
Sure glad I mentioned the above.
The 67 Shelby nose C6TF-A is not the same for the 68 Italia 302, is it Bob ?

Trying to sort and not sell something I need >>before I put an ad on SAAC.
Respectfully,
John

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on May 12, 2023, 04:00:38 PM
Bob,
Thank you, saved me again.
I do have the larger bell housing, it actually has a stud hole built in it for the Z Bar, C5-B
I do have a 164 tooth flywheel, ring gear is dam near as large as the surface of the fly wheel.
I believe a C7 #
Sure glad I mentioned the above.
The 67 Shelby nose C6TF-A is not the same for the 68 Italia 302, is it Bob ?

Trying to sort and not sell something I need >>before I put an ad on SAAC.
Respectfully,
John
The 67 GT350 starter nose is common for both auto and 4 speed. It was also used 65/66 for auto and 4 speed. The 68 4 speed starter nose is longer when compared to the other. They can be hard to find given fewer applications.

Bob Gaines

I will try and dig one out to show a picture .It's on the to do list. ;)

Harris Speedster

I dug out all my old starters.
Two have a thicker/wider shoulder that but up against the starter case.
The other 5 are much thinner where the nose buts up to the starter case.
I would guess that is what you are referring to Bob ?
John