News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Can anyone help identify this VIN?

Started by shanrae, May 15, 2023, 08:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanrae

Can anyone help me identify this VIN? We know it's a 1968 GT 350, but the prototype and the fact it's only 15 digits is throwing us off. Thanks!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shanrae on May 15, 2023, 08:39:46 PM
Can anyone help me identify this VIN? We know it's a 1968 GT 350, but the prototype and the fact it's only 15 digits is throwing us off. Thanks!
It is something someone made up . They even used the wrong style VIN tag. It was not done by Ford or Shelby. Here is a picture of what the legitimate car has. you can see the differences when you compare. This car is for sale in the cars for sale section of this forum
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mongo

8T02J164248 - 0001
"NOT A SHELBY" NOT A PROTOTYPE!
VINMAN
1968 SHELBY REGISTRAR

Coralsnake

Totally made up

Not a prototype

Not a GT350

Not a Shelby

Definitely a Reproduction tag

Not a Shelby VIN

Incorrect stamping format

No doubts

That style of tag wasn't used until 1968 production was half over. [well into 1968] Number "1" was long gone and there would be no need to prototype a 1968 GT350 at that point.

That Mustang VIN was not used by Ford until January/February of 1968, five months into the model year.

That Mustang number was not assigned to Shelby

And yes, I know the car came through one of the big auction houses in 1989. That doesn't change anything

A Ford report from Kevin Marti will confirm these facts

Hey, welcome to the forum!!

Coralsnake

Post some more pictures  8)

I officially nominate you for best "first" post of 2023

Coralsnake

Bill

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 16, 2023, 04:49:05 PM
I hope he comes back  :)

Last Active: May 15, 2023, 09:33:19 PM

You and Bob scared him off  ;)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

gt350shelb

Quote from: shanrae on May 15, 2023, 08:39:46 PM

i doubt this has anything to do with it going to auction next month
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Coralsnake

I google searched that and I think it was auction previously, even though it appears to be scheduled.

Its actually appearing as a past result

Even if it is actually scheduled it will never make it through their crack inspections

Coralsnake

I like it when the conversation starts out...

"We know we have a Shelby...."

Kind of like that 1967 drag car video, "I bought a 1967 Shelby...."

:o

Somewhere along the way I probably heard someone say,  "I would never represent my tribute as a real Shelby, the tag is just for display." 

I dont think he's coming back

Coralsnake

Man what a reality check

We went from "prototype" GT350 Shelby

to Mustang... :(

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .