News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1970 Watkins Glen Trans Am race

Started by deathsled, May 15, 2023, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

That voice  !

The cars !

El Parnelli  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Neat video. Too bad its an older poor film to tape transfer...
Manny, you have an HD version of this one?
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on May 16, 2023, 12:22:12 AM
Neat video. Too bad its an older poor film to tape transfer...
Manny, you have an HD version of this one?
I would definitely cherish a high definition version. I consider myself lucky to see this version. I was only 7 years old when this race happened so a film is the next best thing to being there.

shelbydoug

There was definitely product identification going on there. The intensity of the races seemed higher then others, bordering on a "suicide squad" or "death wish" race.

They were definitely "impressionable" and one never was the same after "experiencing" one. Permanently brain damaged is more likely closer to the actual result of the exposure.

I have NEVER seen anything since that approaches the intensity. I think that I miss that type of "clarity"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 16, 2023, 02:24:45 PM
There was definitely product identification going on there. The intensity of the races seemed higher then others, bordering on a "suicide squad" or "death wish" race.

They were definitely "impressionable" and one never was the same after "experiencing" one. Permanently brain damaged is more likely closer to the actual result of the exposure.

I have NEVER seen anything since that approaches the intensity. I think that I miss that type of "clarity"?
No participation trophies awarded in that era.  Winning was everything.

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on May 16, 2023, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on May 16, 2023, 02:24:45 PM

No participation trophies awarded in that era.  Winning was everything.

It still is but The Trans Am drivers acted more like "Bounty Hunters" and there was seemingly something else going on like relatively big bonus money involved from "Detroit" under the table to the drivers.

Those cars had seemingly "whatever was needed" preparation done to them and considering what theoretically was the point of the class racing, was disproportional to what showed up to race.

Shelby was quoted more then once as saying that he had "little interest in Trans Am racing" but ultimately I suspect that he just wasn't interested in spending that kind of money to field and prep the cars himself for very little return considering that Ford was now a competitor and not his bank.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!