News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What does the T10 shift linkage look like

Started by cboss70, May 16, 2023, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I have a late 66 Shelby all cast iron T10 and it has an aftermarket Hurst shift assembly on it and have a few questions to get it back to original.
1) Could someone post a picture of the side of a similar trans so I can see how the rods and shifter assembly are mounted and be able to ID them?
2) Are the rods/shifter linkage and swivels T10 specific or are they the same as what's used on the top loader?
3) Is the shifter mechanism/base assembly the same as a regular 4spd top loader from that year? (I may have the parts just need a way to identify them)
4) If the shift rods or shift mechanism/base assembly are all unique to a T10, or Shelby for that matter, and I don't have them where would be the best place to source them so I don't buy the incorrect stuff?   

Thanks for your guidance!!

gjz30075

Greg Z
6S2249

JWH

I made this exact swap on our '66 Carryover. I believe the shifter control box is the same for both the top-loader and our T-10s. The linkage is different The tabs that connect the linkage to the transmission are different also. The tabs for the top-loader are rectangular. The tabs for the T-10 are oval or egg shaped as you can see in the excellent pictures posted by GJZ. I found my shifter on Craigslist but you might also put a "wanted" ad here on the SAAC Forum and the Concourse Mustang Forum. The prices seem to range from $300 up to $600+ depending on condition and what parts are included. Getting the shifter handle and knob is a bonus. Plan on rebuilding the shifter. Scott Drake sells a nice kit.
Jeff

SFM6S

To add to Jeff's reply; Bill Heeley sells a rebuild kit for the box which includes a new spring, wave washer, anterlock and retaining ring.  This will help eliminate the slop in the box itself. He lists them on Ebay all the time.

Joe