News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rear end question

Started by Solocons, May 17, 2023, 06:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solocons

I am in the process of tearing down a 1968 gt350 which is one of the first ones made and was checking out rear end and instead of a date code it say SPEC. Any ideas to what that means or is. Any Info greatly appreciated.

Coralsnake

It is a very hard to find Nodular case. Dont let it go

TLea

I'm betting it's a 3.89 car 

Solocons

It is a 3.89 is that rear end original to the car by chance

shelbydoug

There has been observations mentioned that very early '68 Shelbys often had SPEC housings installed originally.

In the "Shelby lines" it is more common to expect them to be original to '67 GT500's.

Be aware though that if you need to shop for one, they are not common and don't be surprised that the asking price for the bare housing is in the $3,000 price range.

All of the 9" housings are high nodular iron. What is adding confusion is at some point an "N" was added to the casting which in effect casts a dim light on the earlier housings.

The C4AW casting, with an appropriate casting date, which is also high nodular iron, is much more common, what I'd expect to see in a '68 and much less expensive to buy. Maybe a $300 item.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Yes 3.89:1 and SPEC case is 100% correct

Solocons

Thank you guys for the info!

mistabreez

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 18, 2023, 07:05:48 AM
Yes 3.89:1 and SPEC case is 100% correct
If you can find a C4AW-B casting for $300.00 buy it!!! The earlier casting without the "N"  is just as valuable if not more to us with early cars.

Coralsnake

DC-DD

I owned car 1968 500 conv.  #136  Dual serial # car it had original SPEC case