Author Topic: Over ride rubber bushing  (Read 866 times)

JohnB

• View Profile
Over ride rubber bushing
« on: May 19, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »
A friend has a 66 with overrides. Where do you find the original style rubber bushings?

One of his rubber bushings has a steel insert. Did the originals have steel inserts?

NPD has a hard rubber style bushing, but it turns out that its Poly bushings.

Is the bushings in the over rides and under rides the same?

Did original bushings have any number/letters or part#?

Did early style straight over rides and later kinked over rides use the same bushings?

Yes, has searched the www to no avail!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Over ride rubber bushing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:02:14 AM »
Traction Master.  http://www.tractionmaster.com/

They are the original manufacturers.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »
A friend has a 66 with overrides. Where do you find the original style rubber bushings?

One of his rubber bushings has a steel insert. Did the originals have steel inserts?

Did early style straight over rides and later kinked over rides use the same bushings?

No steel inserts . The harder more durable Poly bushings are a later evolution of the original Traction Master rubber bushing . If you use the Poly bushings and want them to look more historical correct then you can tone down the shiny appearance that the Poly bushings have by using steel wool or sandpaper to dull the appearance. The original TM bushings that I have taken out did not have any markings that I remember seeing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 10:37:36 AM »
Traction Master.  http://www.tractionmaster.com/

They are the original manufacturers.

Thanks

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 10:39:57 AM »

No steel inserts . The harder more durable Poly bushings are a later evolution of the original Traction Master rubber bushing . If you use the Poly bushings and want them to look more historical correct then you can tone down the shiny appearance that the Poly bushings have by using steel wool or sandpaper to dull the appearance. The original TM bushings that I have taken out did not have any markings that I remember seeing.

Thanks. The owner is not that fond of Poly bushings. Looking for rubber with factory apperance first!

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 12:51:23 PM »

Thanks. The owner is not that fond of Poly bushings. Looking for rubber with factory apperance first!

John
I wasn't advocating for but explaining how you can make the best of a situation where the poly is the most available. The regular rubber ones have not been readily available for more then several years. FYI I don't think that there is a squeaking problem with use in the traction bars like there sometimes is when poly bushings are used in front suspension components. Best of luck in your search .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 12:54:02 PM »

John
I wasn't advocating for but explaining how you can make the best of a situation where the poly is the most available. The regular rubber ones have not been readily available for more then several years. FYI I don't think that there is a squeaking problem with use in the traction bars like there sometimes is when poly bushings are used in front suspension components. Best of luck in your search .

Thanks. If anyone can point me in a direction of original style rubber bushings…….😉

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 02:30:20 PM »
If you have to have original rubber then I have a NOS early 70's era traction bar set where they are included . I would not break up the package. PM me if interested.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 03:03:02 PM »
If you have to have original rubber then I have a NOS early 70's era traction bar set where they are included . I would not break up the package. PM me if interested.

Would let you know.

Thanks

John

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 03:25:52 PM »
In the Mustang section and not in the Shelby section! No wonder I could not find it….

https://store.cobranda.com/rutrbarbu.html