News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Chop top. 1970 Superbird

Started by deathsled, May 19, 2023, 06:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

You know it doesn't look that bad, would have lowered the spoiler a foot or two
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Reminds me of another beaked chop top......

BTW - how many know Dean Jefferies not Barris built the original Monkee Mobile.
The Monkeemobile was crafted from a customized 1966 Pontiac GTO. It was originally blue. In fact, it had a screen career before the Monkees. General Motors was a sponsor of I Dream of Jeannie, the fantasy sitcom produced by Screen Gems / Columbia, the same studio behind The Monkees. The automaker provided cars to the show, including the beautiful blue '66 GTO driven by Tony Nelson. This was the car reportedly chopped up, tweaked and turned into the Monkeemobile!
How about a little Ford trivia and Dean Jefferies. Shelby sent him to Detroit to help get the J Car breadwagon converted to a competitive aerodynamic body. The MKIV rolled out in record time. While there he spotted a GT40 Roadster - Ford let him buy it for $1 and threw in a couple Indy 4 cam motors. It's too bad the current owner thought it was more valuable as a "regular" GT40 than one with Day 2 Dean Jefferies mods.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 19, 2023, 07:27:06 PM
Reminds me of another chop top......

BTW - how many know Dean Jefferies built the original Monkee Mobile.
The Monkeemobile was crafted from a customized 1966 Pontiac GTO. It was originally blue. In fact, it had a screen career before the Monkees. General Motors was a sponsor of I Dream of Jeannie, the fantasy sitcom produced by Screen Gems / Columbia, the same studio behind The Monkees. The automaker provided cars to the show, including the beautiful blue '66 GTO driven by Tony Nelson. This was the car reportedly chopped up, tweaked and turned into the Monkeemobile!

They massacred a GOAT  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Don Johnston

A clear case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on May 19, 2023, 08:35:22 PMUnless I'm color blind, that is Tor Red.

I vote Rallye Red - Plymouth Tor Red EV2 was the same color (orange) as Dodge Hemi Orange V2.
Plymouth Rallye Red was FE5 and Dodge Red was F5 - same colors.
Plymouth called them Impact colors while Dodge said theirs were High Performance Colors.
Dodge also offered an "orange" for a short time that was lighter than the Hemi Orange. Plymouth called it "Vitamin C" and offered it for the whole year.

BTW - SubLime was a Dodge color the Plymouth equivalent was Lime Light.

Sorry my Mopar ownership is showing.......

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 19, 2023, 11:31:15 PM
Quote from: crossboss on May 19, 2023, 08:35:22 PMUnless I'm color blind, that is Tor Red.

I vote Rallye Red - Plymouth Tor Red EV2 was the same color (orange) as Dodge Hemi Orange V2.
Plymouth Rallye Red was FE5 and Dodge Red was F5 - same colors.
Plymouth called them Impact colors while Dodge said theirs were High Performance Colors.
Dodge also offered an "orange" for a short time that was lighter than the Hemi Orange. Plymouth called it "Vitamin C" and offered it for the whole year.

BTW - SubLime was a Dodge color the Plymouth equivalent was Lime Light.

Sorry my Mopar ownership is showing.......
I still like a Barracuda or a Challenger.  The Mecum Auction shows the Mopars to be lethally expensive.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on May 19, 2023, 11:49:01 PMI still like a Barracuda or a Challenger.  The Mecum Auction shows the Mopars to be lethally expensive.
Mopar was kinda the muscle car any kid could afford. My new 70 rallye red Road Runner was under 3 grand in late 69. It was quick enough to enjoy and used speed parts were pretty cheap compared to Ford & Chevy. I got a used 440 with good heads a cam and 12:1 compression for $150 - It ran 12.8s.
I suspect the higher prices now are because they didn't make as many and people want to relive their youth. As for me I'm not gonna pay 60-70 grand for one. Espically when it's not correct - https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1970-plymouth-roadrunner-matching-numbers-engine-and-4-speed-ocoee-fl-2676549

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 20, 2023, 12:21:37 PM
Quote from: deathsled on May 19, 2023, 11:49:01 PMI still like a Barracuda or a Challenger.  The Mecum Auction shows the Mopars to be lethally expensive.
Mopar was kinda the muscle car any kid could afford. My new 70 rallye red Road Runner was under 3 grand in late 69. It was quick enough to enjoy and used speed parts were pretty cheap compared to Ford & Chevy. I got a used 440 with good heads a cam and 12:1 compression for $150 - It ran 12.8s.
I suspect the higher prices now are because they didn't make as many and people want to relive their youth. As for me I'm not gonna pay 60-70 grand for one. Espically when it's not correct - https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1970-plymouth-roadrunner-matching-numbers-engine-and-4-speed-ocoee-fl-2676549
One hell of a car if bought in today's price...
$3,000 in 1970 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $23,455.90 today, an increase of $20,455.90 over 53 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.96% per year between 1970 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 681.86%.

Side-Oilers

Most everyone here already knows this muscle car history, but I feel like babbling-on a bit:

Way back in the early/mid-80s, the Hemi 'Cudas and Challengers were the first muscle cars to really take off in price. Yes, even before the Shelbys did.

Later, the B-body Mopars like the early Chargers and Ply Belvedere/Satellite started going up in price, but not like the pony Mopars. 

Hasn't been until the past 15 or so years that the Hemi Superbirds/Daytonas have gotten stratospheric in prices.

About a dozen years ago, I owned a black/black '70 Challenger R/T 440 4-speed, and loved it. Totally stock-restored, and gorgeous, but not really all that quick.  No, it was not 4:11 or deeper geared (I seem to recall 3.55s) and had A/C, but its problem was traction.  Ran pretty good from a roll, but certainly wasn't anything a GT500 had to worry about.

I really like 440s, even better than I do 426 Hemis (blasphemy I know!) Because (comparing factory-stock outputs) the wedge motor makes better low-end & midrange torque.

At the same time, I also owned a maroon/black '70 Charger R/T 440 automatic with the same gears. Both cars performed about equally in 0-60 (Challenger won the 1/4 mile by about a car length) but the bigger B-body wasn't as much fun to drive due to its size and weight...and the automatic.

Currently, I own a (definitely NOT a muscle car, but has a 440/350 hp wedge) '71 Imperial LeBaron. All stock, all original, 25k mile beauty. Great cruiser, not quick, but has a bunch of low end torque as was needed for moving that 5000-pound barge off the line.

The 440 is easy to work on (except for the driver-side spark plugs) and I've never had one fail or let me down. Same can't be said for the 427s (Fords & Chevys) I've owned.

As we all know (or should) those "legendary" performance cars of the 1960s/early '70s that we regularly saw on the street (not highly modified) weren't very quick, by the standard of even 20 years ago.  Some ran 16s, most ran and 15s, a "fast" car was in the 14s, there were some "crazy-fast" 13s,  and basically no 12s. (Unless it was a Cobra 427.)  I'm talking stock drivelines, suspension and tire sizes.

Now, we're in an era where any housewife with a rich-ish husband can drive an 600+ hp electric sedan that runs 11s or quicker. And, our old muscle cars are snail-slow by comparison.

I'm sure we all agree on which we'd prefer to own.

Like with life, it's all about perspective.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

mark p

Quote from: Don Johnston on May 19, 2023, 11:22:26 PM
A clear case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  ::)

a big +1, I changed Don's emoji as well
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 21, 2023, 05:13:42 PMI really like 440s, even better than I do 426 Hemis (blasphemy I know!) Because (comparing factory-stock outputs) the wedge motor makes better low-end & midrange torque.

When they first shortened the drag strip length to 1/8 mile people dumped their Hemi and went to the 440. It was cheaper and while the deep breathing Hemi had the advantage on the longer track it was all over in the 1/8 by the time the Hemi was hitting its stride.

The MoPar could fetch some decent mileage too. In 1968 I did a Mobil Economy Run from Burbank to Yosemite and back in a new Chrysler 300 with a 440 it fetched almost 17 mpg over a 700 mile course - we won.

Side-Oilers

That's very impressive for those mountainous roads and freeway areas. 

Did you put it in neutral for any downhill section?  Or, was there a Mobil person riding along to assure you didn't try it?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model