News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Black ghost sold for $1,072,500 today.

Started by deathsled, May 19, 2023, 11:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Quote from: FL SAAC on May 20, 2023, 09:17:39 PM
Quote from: deathsled on May 20, 2023, 08:34:18 PM
Quote from: papa scoops on May 20, 2023, 06:11:55 PM
It is said that, bathed in the light of a waning moon, the real black ghost continues to ride the phantom highways of the night, a driverless machine, a headless horseman, rolling over the sickly asphalt on the outskirts of Detroit, conquering all takers.

Have you ever considered writing stories  ?
Naw. Only Steven King can write. Write (right)?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

deathsled

Going to reply to my own reply here.  I did a little more thinking on the contentions of the Youtuber video doubting the street racing provenance of the Black Ghost.  I looked up quarter mile times and the 426 Hemi Challenger was faster than 14 seconds. Here is what I found.
Year: 1970 | Type: Coupe
Engine: 6974 cc (425.5 ci) 16 Valve
Engine Formation: V 8
Aspiration: Naturally Aspirated
Fuel Type: Petrol
Transmission: 4 speed / Manual
Top Speed: 117 mph (188.2 kph)
0-60 mph (96.6 kph): 5.4 secs
0-100 kph (0-62 mph): 5.6 secs
0-100 mph (160.9 kph): 13.6 secs
Power: 425 bhp (316 kW) @ 3000 rpm
Kerbweight: 1655 kgs (3648 lbs)
Torque: 490 lb-ft (664.3 Nm) @ 4000 rpm
Drive: RWD | Engine Location: Front
1/4 Mile (Est.): 12.78 secs @ 106.6 mph
BHP Per Ton: 256.7 bhp
Torque Per Ton: 296.0 lb-ft

To further supplement, the street racing of the Black Ghost could easily have been street light to street light.  Stock car versus other stock car. Unexpected encounters with other fast cars of the day.  I don't know that anyone ever said that the Black Ghost was involved in any organized street racing.  It beat what it encountered.  Perhaps the car never encountered the Silver Bullet or the Sudden Death cars.  It got its name because it would race and disappear.  No one knew who the driver was and that is the point of its name and reputation.  I now lean toward believing the stories though perhaps a tad inflated and embellished.  You have his friend testifying to its reputation and he comes off as credible.  Further, the car has a ton of rare options found on no other car.  So perhaps the car is well bought after all.

But then again, museums around the world are full of fakes that are purported to be originals.  In the final analysis, one believes what one wants to believe.

mark p

Quote from: deathsled on May 20, 2023, 12:18:24 AM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 19, 2023, 11:47:50 PM
I'll put that in the well bought class. Not a steal but still that is a lot of history and some prestigious awards for being out of the barn for such a short time.
...  The ghost is registered on the Historic Vehicles list I believe.

grabbing that legendary car with its place on the Historic Vehicle Registry (#28 if I'm reading things right) hopefully resulted in a "Win" on both sides of the transaction.
I was sorry to see that the family didn't keep it, but also don't know the reasoning. A
Agree with Ed in hoping that the car will be preserved.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird