News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Exhaust tip extension from valance

Started by lawrence67, May 21, 2023, 01:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawrence67

The extension of tip to valance seems, if memory serves, is 4.75".  Is that correct judges?
PL

Bob Gaines

Quote from: lawrence67 on May 21, 2023, 01:48:19 PM
The extension of tip to valance seems, if memory serves, is 4.75".  Is that correct judges?
PL
Only on aftermarket exhaust and tips do you have to measure something like that. Factory type or OEM exhaust has a stop made into the turn out pipe that does not allow the tip to go on farther then what it was designed to be. The tip is pushed on as far as it will go and tightened down on a original type system. I can eye ball it + or - because I have seen so many original systems but have not written down a number.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

lawrence67

Ok, I thought someone had mentioned accepted distance on the forum sometime ago as if it was understood.  Anyway my muffler exit pipes and tips are original with p/n's so I shud be good to go.  Tips when purchased with car had satin black front half on transition.  Is that correct? I had tips rechromed and they look great but not sure about painting them again if it looks wrong.  Opinion??
Thanks Bob.  On the home stretch with my car, looking like June/July "on the road again" as Willie would say.

Regards Paul

Bob Gaines

Quote from: lawrence67 on May 21, 2023, 06:32:07 PM
Ok, I thought someone had mentioned accepted distance on the forum sometime ago as if it was understood.  Anyway my muffler exit pipes and tips are original with p/n's so I shud be good to go.  Tips when purchased with car had satin black front half on transition.  Is that correct? I had tips rechromed and they look great but not sure about painting them again if it looks wrong.  Opinion??
Thanks Bob.  On the home stretch with my car, looking like June/July "on the road again" as Willie would say.

Regards Paul
If the tip is the pipe inside a pipe tip then it is the 68 version. That is my first thought when you said it had a painted black transition which is also a 68 detail. You might want to double check.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

lawrence67

All I have to compare is the NPD cat and it looks like no 67 tips with paint so I'm loving the chrome.  It must be the Harley in me.

Thanks for input
Cheers Paul

JD

Here's a link...that image I took was from a Div 1 Premier car, late version with the Ford GT rear valance and NOS original exhaust system.

('67's no black as Bob stated)

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1982.msg17045#msg17045

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

lawrence67

A mere 1" off. 
That's the pic I almost remembered.  Things from VI forum are a bit fuzzy now.  All this info together is great.  Thanks.
Ciao Paul L