News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

My New AC

Started by eric lipper, May 24, 2023, 09:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric lipper

Not sure where this car fits but in my view it deserves some attention.  I bought AK2003 which is one of the last cars produced by Brian Angliss when he owned AC Cars, Ltd.  This is a well built car in aluminum with a late model Mustang GT fuel injected engine.  Runs like a top and might be one of the lower mileage examples out there.  It had 962 miles when it showed up at my house on Monday. 
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

JD

Have some fun - break a thousand miles ;-0
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

98SVT - was 06GT

I believe they were technically Autocraft AC MKIV a partnership with Anglis and Ford. They used the Mustang GT drivetrain to pass EPA and were sold through Ford dealers. Ford licensed the Cobra name to Autocraft to build them. Ford supplied the drivetrain and federalization help. Motor Trend did a test and Hot Rod used the same car. The Hot Rod editor put it over a curb and bent up the lower front scoop. I got tasked with getting it somewhat back into shape before the car got returned - they fixed it right. It was an early red car - check and see if your lower scoop was damaged and you may have the magazine car.
CS was not happy but there was in reality nothing he could do - Ford had designed the 427 - Ford owned the name Cobra - Ford was a partner in the deal (I think Edsel was a driving force behind it as in the normal scheme of things it wouldn't pass the bean counters to get built) - they pitched them to dealers as showroom bait to get people in the door. In the end they built almost 500 of them - looks like yours is # 3.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

I saw Bob...what's his name...take one up on the rails at Utica with Coleen K at full throttle back in the single digit SAAC convention days. So the thing does go pretty well.

There actually have been two here, "on the street", totally unimpressing the "Lincoln Navigator L" locals by it's totally anti-social, anti-SAAC 'Hot rodder' type owners like me. It goes back truely to the AC Cobra origins of an "MG with the Mumps", but heck it is nicely made and for me too conformist to the "Latea 'Liberals' mind set".

I think that you are "required" to wear a "Sherlock Holmes hat" while driving it?

It is so different from the 427 S/C concept that it seems an outcast in an already  outcast image of 427 Cobra owners as some kind of a four wheel 'Hell's Angels' group which has stuck to me like a rodent 'sticky trap' that when you try to get it off, you just get stuck in it further. For me, at least that image terrifies the would be 'home invasion crowd' into keeping their distances out of utter fear of what perversionary retaliation they could be subject to if the situation ever arose? So be it. It isn't easy being green as Ms.Horn once sang to Hermet.

It's all Shelby's fault. He created all of this and it just won't go away. Simply amazing and something visionaries start but can't always control. The 'Monster' develops a life all of it's own.

Enjoy it. It is a very unique vision...ah, vehicle! 8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!