Author Topic: Repo Autolite voltage regulator question  (Read 1827 times)

• View Profile
Repo Autolite voltage regulator question
« on: May 26, 2023, 05:50:56 PM »
What is the consensus on using a mechanical vs. solid state electronic voltage regulator?  Is one more likely to leave me high and dry unexpectedly than the other or are both viable options?

Thanks in advance

Jon
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 05:59:05 PM by 1175 »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Repo Autolite voltage regulator question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 06:45:17 PM »
I have been running a solid state regulator for over two years with no problems.  Also, I did find my amp meter needle did not jump a round at idle like it had with the mechanical regulator.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 07:22:24 PM »
Since you mentioned the "reproduction" word be aware that most if not all of the electronic ones have a visible different from the original. The difference is often the base below where the wire loom plugs in if your looking for something that looks like an original

Rarely have problems with originals or service replacements. Reproduction electric items can often be an issue from reports over the years on the forums. Hopefully there are some good ones out there the issue is that in buying from resellers (the catalog companies) you often don't know who the supplier is of each
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 08:24:51 PM »
What is the consensus on using a mechanical vs. solid state electronic voltage regulator?  Is one more likely to leave me high and dry unexpectedly than the other or are both viable options?

Thanks in advance

Jon

My experience is that the reproductions from AMK or Marti Autoworks are normally set way too high. They charge the battery at around 17 volts and if done long enough (an hour or two) the battery explodes. The cure is to set the voltage regulator using the procedure in the factory shop manual.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 09:21:43 PM »

Thanks in advance

Jon

My experience is that the reproductions from AMK or Marti Autoworks are normally set way too high. They charge the battery at around 17 volts and if done long enough (an hour or two) the battery explodes. The cure is to set the voltage regulator using the procedure in the factory shop manual.

That would not be cool.  Fortunately, the regulator I purchased from Virginia Mustang and just having my alternator rebuilt by Dead Nuts On, the maximum output I have seen is around 14.75 volts.  It also depends on what the battery needs.  I may check again this weekend to verify.

Greek
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 09:25:49 AM by greekz »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 11:09:55 PM »

Thanks in advance

Jon

That would not be cool.  Fortunately, the regulator I purchased from Virginia Mustang and just having my alternator rebuild by Dead Nuts On, the maximum output I have seen is around 14.75 volts.  It also depends on what the battery needs.  I may check again this weekend to verify.

Greek
You might double check but I think that the factory looking regulators that Virginia sells have the solid state insides instead of the mechanical . They even have the proper looking base that you don't get by just swapping a cover . ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:25:34 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 11:46:15 AM »
I have used motocraft one for last 20 years. if you are looking for correct  see other options mentioned above . I would remove original cover and  swap it on to new regulator . if you are crative you could make it look more correct.

on a side note  check charging volage of all of them. especially if running repop batery with agm (miata) battery inside.  these do not like to be over charged and will turn to trash  quickly  if they are . 13.5 volts is plently for  the agm to live  a long happy life.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 07:12:40 PM »
Just for grins today I checked the voltage output on both cars:

1966 GT-350, with mechanical voltage regulator and rebuilt alternator by Dead Nuts On.
12.8 volts @650 rpm
15.8 volts @1300 rpm

1967 GT-350, with solid state voltage regulator from Virginia Mustang and rebuilt alternator by Dead Nuts On.
14.5 volts @750 rpm
14.5 volts @1250 rpm

At least with my two cars, the solid state voltage regulator is more consistent.  Not sure this data means much, but thought I would share.

Greek

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 09:34:13 AM »
If you use a repo mechanical voltage regulator which uses original type amperes 38 or 43, only use an original alternator
as the repo give about 60amps. Guess how I know, burnt two different regulators over the years.
Just a tip!
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 01:09:03 PM »
If you use a repo mechanical voltage regulator which uses original type amperes 38 or 43, only use an original alternator
as the repo give about 60amps. Guess how I know, burnt two different regulators over the years.
Just a tip!
Texas Swede
The 55 amp stater winding is about the only option in alternator rebuilding now a days. Yes over time it my or may not burn up a regulator faster but it is the standard in the rebuild industry regardless of original applications. You can tell by the number of plates visible between the front and rear housing however I have never deducted for this nuance detail in Div II concours . I have even been criticized for doing it in DIV I even though that would be missing the point.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 02:08:05 PM »
After I changed to a solid-state regulator with the correct cover, I have never (knock on wood) had any problems.
The way it made itself visible was the flickering or always showed a weak red lamp at idle.
Texas Swede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 05:04:21 PM »
Ok.  Thanks all for the replies!  Especially the extra work provided by greek z!

Just installed a solid state version from dead nuts on replacing an old amk mechanical repo.

Thanks
Jon

BDT 739

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2023, 07:38:03 PM »
Had a problem with the AMK regulator sold thru NPD Part Number 10316-1A. Amp meter gauge was bouncing all the time and faster as RPM increasd.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2023, 02:15:11 PM »
Just for grins today I checked the voltage output on both cars:

1966 GT-350, with mechanical voltage regulator and rebuilt alternator by Dead Nuts On.
12.8 volts @650 rpm
15.8 volts @1300 rpm

1967 GT-350, with solid state voltage regulator from Virginia Mustang and rebuilt alternator by Dead Nuts On.
14.5 volts @750 rpm
14.5 volts @1250 rpm

At least with my two cars, the solid state voltage regulator is more consistent.  Not sure this data means much, but thought I would share.

Greek

15.8 volts is way too much. 13.7 is better long term. 14.5 seems a bit high too but might be OK if you don't drive much.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2023, 02:52:12 PM »
The Virginia Classic Mustang item is accurate and reliable in my Cobra air car and it has cooked several originals in the past. Brant knows his stuff!