Author Topic: Myths and realities of carburetor sizing  (Read 483 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Myths and realities of carburetor sizing
« on: May 31, 2023, 10:22:07 AM »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
Re: Myths and realities of carburetor sizing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 11:20:02 AM »
I like Uncle Tony...however, he does get too long winded in his videos. Cut the babble and go right into the topic would be my suggestion. That said, he is correct. He mentions the good 'ol ignorant street squirrel's "Your gonna flood the engine with gas!" on large or dual car'b applications. Vacuum determines the 'flow' of air on a carburetor's output. You can install a Holley Dominator on a stock small block engine. It will run...however, the throttle response/velocity/drivability will be horrible.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Myths and realities of carburetor sizing
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
Is he right?
https://youtu.be/HdF7IAWFT8w

DANGER, DANGER!   :o

"Cut the babble",  then it wouldn't be a two minute video!   ::)

And: " Vacuum determines the 'flow' of air on a carburetor's output."  Well, I think it would be better said that "vacuum", or better described as just the pressure differential presented at the critical junctures of the carburetor 'determines the carburetors' flow of fuel output', which is really what "carburetion" is all about; "throttling" of the atmospheres' ingress into the engine and the resultant "vacuum" created, as generally referenced, is a different subject; though there are certain observed relationships involved, but this has more to do with shortcomings in the mechanics of the device.    ???

Hence, why E.F.I. has displaced the mechanical carburetor in typical automotive O.E.M. production.    ;)

Scott.