News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Before you move to Florida consider new taxes, insurance and other idiosyncrasie

Started by FL SAAC, June 03, 2023, 11:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Big heads up if you are relocating to Florida, so you won't drown once you get here.

Your realtor won't tell you this but I will.

Because I have been "Freely sharing information since 1999"

When you buy your house, you will come in and the first year will be a "BYE"

You will pick up the previous owners taxes and insurance costs.

I. E.

Previous owner purchased home for $200,000

His taxes are +/- $3,500 / 4,000

His insurance was +/- $4,000 / 5000

Your first year wil be the same.

Year two new (get ready) assessment, you will receive from your city or county a new tax based on your purchase price.

Lets say it at $500,000 that's for a two or three bedroom home (nothing fancy)

Your new taxes should be + / - $10,000

Your insurance should be around $8,000 to 10,000 that's if you have hurricane windows, doors and your roof is not over 20 years old.

So it's going to be about $10K per year if you are on a dry lot.

If you are on or near the water, then expect your rate to go up to $15 / 20,000 per year.

Make sure your new castle has ALL permits closed and if in a H. O. A. it has no violations, dues paid up or outstanding items needed to be closed prior to you taking over. You will inherit those.

Second topic will be the heat, humidity, flooding, hurricanes, mosquitoes,  snakes, cockroaches, bugs, spiders, crocodiles, alligators, caymans, iguanas, bears, panthers, tourists, traffic, tolls, crime, we the people....Enjoy !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

FL is just jumping on the bandwagon of high taxes. The Yankees who move there are delighted to be paying less than the NY rates they left.
Here in SoCal my house I pay about a grand in taxes and less than 800 on insurance. Prop 13 locked your taxes at about 1% of what you paid for the house. When we first got it our taxes were less than $500 and any increase would require a 2/3 vote. Then .gov figured out they could screw us by calling increases "fees" rather than a tax and now we're paying almost double. Being over 55 I can take my current tax rate when I move to a different place. They also let you transfer the tax rate to a child or grandchild when they inherit but now they have to live in the place to keep the low tax.
But don't get me started on the earthquake insurance scam. I passed on that it's $3,000+ per year and they only pay after you have made the first $25,000 in repairs out of pocket.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

crossboss

Quote from: FL SAAC on June 03, 2023, 11:41:10 AM
Big heads up if you are relocating to Florida, so you won't drown once you get here.

Your realtor won't tell you this but I will.

Because I have been "Freely sharing information since 1999"

When you buy your house, you will come in and the first year will be a "BYE"

You will pick up the previous owners taxes and insurance costs.

I. E.

Previous owner purchased home for $200,000

His taxes are +/- $3,500 / 4,000

His insurance was +/- $4,000 / 5000

Your first year wil be the same.

Year two new (get ready) assessment, you will receive from your city or county a new tax based on your purchase price.

Lets say it at $500,000 that's for a two or three bedroom home (nothing fancy)

Your new taxes should be + / - $10,000

Your insurance should be around $8,000 to 10,000 that's if you have hurricane windows, doors and your roof is not over 20 years old.

So it's going to be about $10K per year if you are on a dry lot.

If you are on or near the water, then expect your rate to go up to $15 / 20,000 per year.

Make sure your new castle has ALL permits closed and if in a H. O. A. it has no violations, dues paid up or outstanding items needed to be closed prior to you taking over. You will inherit those.

Second topic will be the heat, humidity, flooding, hurricanes, mosquitoes,  snakes, cockroaches, bugs, spiders, crocodiles, alligators, caymans, iguanas, bears, panthers, tourists, traffic, tolls, crime, we the people....Enjoy !

Same as Texas. Their 're-assessment' is a joke also. The second year Harris County 'claimed' my home was worth 76 Percent more! I filed for an appeal. I stated that even Beverly Hills, Ca properties do not increase that much, let alone a Texas house. They had nothing to argue back about. The next year I sold and left . Now, Im in Nevada...Its awesome here! Low property taxes, no state income taxes, no humidity, no bugs, no tornados, no hurricanes, very few (If any) earthquakes, friendly people, AND a huge car scene here!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

This guy is spot on

Listen to his key words "over paid" "dont listen to the sales people" "cost of living"  "insurance" "home owners premium" "mold" "property taxes" hey that's what I said.... LMAO  !

Florida home buyers blind sided by costs to own

https://youtu.be/be5rCIPXF7U

I have all UNGOLD cars

67 GT350

Perfect, I will start sending all  the CA peeps there, FLA sounds perfect for ex CALIF's they won't skip a beat with taxes for taxes, and I am sure once a D always a D no matter how bad they are, they will still get the vote!
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on June 05, 2023, 03:13:51 PM're-assessment' is a joke also. The second year Harris County 'claimed' my home was worth 76 Percent more!
Go ahead and bad mouth CA - we took care of it with a constitutional amendment that locks you property tax at the price you paid. They can only re assess when you make major improvements. The longer you keep your house the better it works out - you are not taxed on some imaginary unrealized increase in value. The law even allows you to take your tax rate to a new home when you retire or pass it on the the kids or grandkids. The only mistake they made was including commercial property. The big building owners figured out a scam where they add partners to the deed and then the "selling" partner drops off the deed. Since all the names on the deed didn't change at the same time no outright transfer occurred so no tax increase.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

If you're paying that for insurance on a 200k house you need to shop.  We have a home in Naples worth more and just paid a hell of a lot less. 

FL SAAC

Quote from: 67 GT350 on June 06, 2023, 11:56:26 AM
Perfect, I will start sending all  the CA peeps there, FLA sounds perfect for ex CALIF's they won't skip a beat with taxes for taxes, and I am sure once a D always a D no matter how bad they are, they will still get the vote!

Come on dooooown !

We have a special program that puts them on "Desantis Airlines" with a peanut butter and jelly saMiche and flys them right out......woohoo  !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 06, 2023, 12:32:46 PM
Quote from: crossboss on June 05, 2023, 03:13:51 PM're-assessment' is a joke also. The second year Harris County 'claimed' my home was worth 76 Percent more!
Go ahead and bad mouth CA - we took care of it with a constitutional amendment that locks you property tax at the price you paid. They can only re assess when you make major improvements. The longer you keep your house the better it works out - you are not taxed on some imaginary unrealized increase in value. The law even allows you to take your tax rate to a new home when you retire or pass it on the the kids or grandkids. The only mistake they made was including commercial property. The big building owners figured out a scam where they add partners to the deed and then the "selling" partner drops off the deed. Since all the names on the deed didn't change at the same time no outright transfer occurred so no tax increase.

Plus Uno !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: 683760 on June 06, 2023, 02:46:24 PM
If you're paying that for insurance on a 200k house you need to shop.  We have a home in Naples worth more and just paid a hell of a lot less.

What is this......insurance one speaks of ?

Seriously,  house is paid off. Its pretty sturdy, only loss would be roof. We can handle that.

On the other hand, my next door neighbor has a similar home ( its financed ) his insurance has gone from 4,000 to 7,000 and just recently ( brace yourself ) asking price is 11,500 .

This is with NO claims,  issues, incidents in the last 15 years that he has lived here.

I have all UNGOLD cars

crossboss

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 06, 2023, 12:32:46 PM

I will. I was born and raised there. Had Prop 13. IF it wasn't for all the lowlifes moving in, I would have stayed (maybe). Don't worry the powers that be will reappeal Prop 13 and your 1,000 dollar a year property taxes WILL go up 500-1000+ percent more. You can count on it. LA sales tax is now what 10 percent..or more? Crime, illegals, traffic (esp on the 101, and 405), lastly, the donkey party is in charge and passing more and more nonsense agenda's. Please stay there...don't move here to Nevada.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

Gentlemen please refrain mentioning other States as the topic here is Floridaland or as I call it Paradise.

Should you want to further discuss any other region in the Great United States of America,  may I ask you start your own post.

Kindest regards

I have all UNGOLD cars

69 GT350 Vert

Auto insurance for daily drivers is very expensive as well. 1 in 4 drivers here are uninsured.  Many have never had a driver license according to local police blotters.  The car gets impounded and they receive a NTA (notice to appear).