News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Turn signal lever

Started by deathsled, June 04, 2023, 11:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Serious question:  Are there any distinguishing marks on a 1966 turn signal lever that show it to be an original?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

s2ms

Top lever in the photo below is an original, bottom lever is NOS and came in the box shown. Notice the tightening slot. The original has a slight "bulge" in the shaft around the slot like it was made by crimping, also has a ridge in the slot. The NOS lever does not have either the bulge or ridge, the slot looks to have been cut into the lever.  Most of the repops are like the NOS lever, no bulge or ridge, but the newer Scott Drake repop lever does have both from the photos I've seen (lower photo below). I haven't seen one in person but to me the ridge looks different than an original...
Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

Quote from: s2ms on June 04, 2023, 12:50:35 PM
Top lever in the photo below is an original, bottom lever is NOS and came in the box shown. Notice the tightening slot. The original has a slight "bulge" in the shaft around the slot like it was made by crimping, also has a ridge in the slot. The NOS lever does not have either the bulge or ridge, the slot looks to have been cut into the lever.  Most of the repops are like the NOS lever, no bulge or ridge, but the newer Scott Drake repop lever does have both from the photos I've seen (lower photo below). I haven't seen one in person but to me the ridge looks different than an original...
Thank you very much for pointing out that subtlety. I would never have known otherwise.

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

CharlesTurner

The end of the repro usually has subtle differences when compared to original also.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

deathsled

Quote from: deathsled on June 04, 2023, 12:56:54 PM
Quote from: s2ms on June 04, 2023, 12:50:35 PM
Thank you very much for pointing out that subtlety. I would never have known otherwise.

Just to supplement and clarify, I was not attempting to sound sarcastic in my posted response.  I genuinely would not have known.  I just want to clarify the record because things can be taken wildly out of context these days.  I do appreciate your help.  The signal lever on my car is waaaaay off from original (not a reflection on Legendary Motorcar's work as the car got partially assembled elsewhere after Legendary did the whole bodywork and paint).  I can't say where the original signal lever went while the car was being assembled in Toronto but they must've ordered an aftermarket that is not even close to what belongs there.  As a consequence I will be in the hunt for an original. 

deathsled

What came out and what went in. She's happier now. Happy car happy life.