News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

where is the lost 1965 / 66 Shelby Hertz GT350 car # 48 prototype ?

Started by FL SAAC, January 22, 2023, 03:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: tesgt350 on June 07, 2023, 08:05:46 AM
"For the record 1970 models have the key in the dash. Cars had to be fully changed over by Jan1,1970 to skirt the lock column issue. Emissions were updated also as you said for all 50 states plus the gas tanks emissions for Calif.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:50:48 AM by shelbymann1970 »"
Here is a crazy question that maybe someone can answer........ There is a Cost to doing all of the changes to the 69 Shelby's to turn them into 70's.  Would Ford had been better off to just leave them all as 69's and drop the price?
Cost? The guy painting the hood stripes was the resident painter at Kar Kraft. Front spoilers? Nominal. GT350s? Dist change. GT500s dist modified and a 70 carb change. A few Calif cars evap emissions. Vin change on the dash. Maybe since they wanted them as 70 models it was cheaper to do the changes than build new 70 models since the 351W 4V went away they would have to use the B2 or the new 351C. Like I said if you read my post at least Claude ordered 70s from Ford so at least 1 dealer wanted 70 models and not "left over" 69s. There were some really good discounts on left over 68s when my friend's 68 GT350 vert was sold in May of 1969. A question could be asked how many left over 68s hurt 69 sales? How many leftover 67s hurt 68 sales? And so on.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

The first 1966 GTH

Everyone always talks about these one of one cars, the Super Snake, Mr. Styles 0139, Green Hornet etc.

This particular GTH is probably and should be on this list also.

Its one of the most valuable Shelby's of all time that's not really on the "regular guys" radar screen.

But those in the know, do have it on theirs.

Again it is right up there or should be with the all the other really significant Shelby's ever made.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 07, 2023, 06:45:39 AMEvery year Shelby had cars that were sold well into the next model year(my friend's 68 GT350 was sold in May of 1969). While many were "unsold" cars I've come to the belief from research that Ford built them out knowing they were going to rebadge and change emissions to market as 70s.

Not True - Dealers had left over cars NOT Ford. Dealer contracts call for "new" model year cars they had no outlet at the time for getting rid of last years inventory. Dealer allotments also called for X # of each model. With about 600 already built and unshipped Shelbys sitting around the bean counters said for a few bucks we can change them and call them new 1970 cars. I have always discounted the stories of Ford going to dealers and swapping VIN on dealer lots. Ford no longer had anything to do with the car once it left the hauler at the dealers.
Also don't forget these cars were basically the property of a wholly owned Ford subsidiary Shelby Automotive that was being closed for not being profitable. All the assets had to be maximized for the good of the stockholder.
I can't see Ford taking the hit scrapping the current leftover trucks. I suspect they will go to some 3rd world country where they don't care about model year. Or maybe Ford will donate them to places like the Red Cross, etc for charity work and take the goodwill for a stock price bump.
As an aside to leftover cars. Some dealers held on to the "flashy" cars as showroom bait to get casual lookers in the front door and sell them a car. Remember at this time dealers were small neighborhood establishments that dad wandered through after getting his haircut on Saturday morning. Today people visit the giant auto malls to buy not look at cars. My sister got her 68 Cal Special in late April of 69. The dealer pulled it out of the showroom that week and offered it for sale with a big discount. 
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless