News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Not Shelby specific 1969 radio removal

Started by TS69GT500, June 12, 2023, 05:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS69GT500

I have all the trim off and the 2 screws removed from the front radio bracket but the radio won't budge.
I'm thinking the dash pad has to be removed and there must be some sort of rear bracket holding the radio and preventing removal.
(I've had the pad off many times for various reasons.)
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks,
TonyS

Coralsnake

There is a stud in the center of the rear face of the radio, it has a nut on it

Time for a reach around  :o

You can try removing the glove box liner for access
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

There is a bracket that bolts to a stud on the rear of the radio chassis.  The bottom of the bracket is a "spring clip" that slides onto the radio support.  Once you remove the front trim panel, and the front radio bracket, you can reach behind the radio and undo the bolt, but it's a pain to get to. You should also be able to gently move the radio side to side while pulling towards you and slide the clip off the support.  The radio is still plugged in to the harness, so don't pull too hard.  Once the clip slides off the support, you can easily unplug it.  Here is a url to a pic of the rear bracket:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/19rabrreus.html

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 12, 2023, 05:41:49 PM
There is a stud in the center of the rear face of the radio, it has a nut on it

Time for a reach around  :o

You can try removing the glove box liner for access
What he said ;) . You should not have to remove the dash pad.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Good advice here. With the front bracket off the radio you should be able to push the radio back to release the spring clip[ on the back bracket and clear the lower dash and pull out.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)