News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Adding "Dish" to a 65 Style GT350 steering wheel....anyone done it?

Started by Vernon Estes, June 13, 2023, 08:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vernon Estes

Hey Guys,

Ive got a repop 65 steering wheel which will be going on a daily driver type car that I am currently building. Have any of you ever tried to add more dish to one of these wheels?

This particular steering wheel has more dish than a lot of the very flat reproductions out there but it still bothers me that it doesnt have the amount of dish that a real 65 wheel has.

Any general directions or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Vernon Estes on June 13, 2023, 08:52:00 AM
Hey Guys,

Ive got a repop 65 steering wheel which will be going on a daily driver type car that I am currently building. Have any of you ever tried to add more dish to one of these wheels?

This particular steering wheel has more dish than a lot of the very flat reproductions out there but it still bothers me that it doesnt have the amount of dish that a real 65 wheel has.

Any general directions or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Vern
Don't waste your time. If it could be done easily you would see it being done all of the time.  The metal of the spokes will have to stretch to get the extra travel needed to make the offset . Imagine the force it will take to do that. You will typically damage the wood rim before that happens . Don't ask me how I know.  ;)   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S000

Hey Vern,

Earl here. Question: is the wheel spokes connected at the hub area like #'s 120 on up (15" wheels) or are the spokes separated like the 16" Cobra/earlier GT350 wheels with the center ring?
Regardless, the only way to deepen the dish is to add material. (Cut & tig weld more material to desired depth than polish).
To deepen; spoke length is needed and bent on two planes, isn't going to happen economically.
Solution: head over to Bob G's storage and trade him something. Then sell off the one you're attempting to modify.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM5S000 on June 13, 2023, 10:32:40 AM
Hey Vern,

Earl here. Question: is the wheel spokes connected at the hub area like #'s 120 on up (15" wheels) or are the spokes separated like the 16" Cobra/earlier GT350 wheels with the center ring?
Regardless, the only way to deepen the dish is to add material. (Cut & tig weld more material to desired depth than polish).
To deepen; spoke length is needed and bent on two planes, isn't going to happen economically.
Solution: head over to Bob G's storage and trade him something. Then sell off the one you're attempting to modify.

Cheers,
~Earl J
Thanks for the plug Earl . I have just what Vern needs  ;D . But he should know that by now. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Vernon Estes

Dang it, sort of figured it would be near impossible but figured id ask. The wheel is for a car on which details like steering wheel dish is completely irrelevant.... the flatness of the repo wheels just bothers the heck out of me.

And, cmon Earl...you think I need to trade Bob to get what I need?

Nah, I just go over from time to time and utilize one of two strategies depending on Bob's mood..

1. Wonder over like a lost puppy dog....if in a good mood bob will just feel sorry for me and hand over the goods.

2. If the ole boy is feeling a bit spicy I just make a really obscure request for something way in the  back of the cave....then I go to town out in the front room taking what I came for. He hasn't noticed anything gone yet and this strategy has been in use for over a decade now  ;D
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Vernon Estes on June 13, 2023, 11:13:40 AM
Dang it, sort of figured it would be near impossible but figured id ask. The wheel is for a car on which details like steering wheel dish is completely irrelevant.... the flatness of the repo wheels just bothers the heck out of me.

And, cmon Earl...you think I need to trade Bob to get what I need?

Nah, I just go over from time to time and utilize one of two strategies depending on Bob's mood..

1. Wonder over like a lost puppy dog....if in a good mood bob will just feel sorry for me and hand over the goods.

2. If the ole boy is feeling a bit spicy I just make a really obscure request for something way in the  back of the cave....then I go to town out in the front room taking what I came for. He hasn't noticed anything gone yet and this strategy has been in use for over a decade now  ;D
Or the "I have 3 kids to feed" ploy. ;D

SFM5S000

BG: "Vern, Vern! that one has the right steering wheel"
VE: "I know, but Earl is standing right there, and he's got a radio!"
BG: "I'll distract him. You saw all those women go the other way? He's a sucker for long legged women"
EC: " I heard that. Don't even. Just wait till you get back to Kansas City and give Vern what he wants"