News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Shelby demotion.

Started by deathsled, June 17, 2023, 05:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Once the terror of the streets, now the terror of the grocery aisles.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

There were brighter times though...

deathsled

Quote from: trotrof1 on June 17, 2023, 06:15:39 PM
WW2 vet?
Almost. War ended when he was 17 years old. He was learning to fly a Spitfire when the war ended. His father was in the Canadian navy though. Patrolling the Atlantic and up around Murmansk.

Side-Oilers

Quote from: deathsled on June 17, 2023, 05:41:05 PM

Love it!  How far can he pull a wheelie down the cookie aisle?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 17, 2023, 09:43:02 PM
Quote from: deathsled on June 17, 2023, 05:41:05 PM

Love it!  How far can he pull a wheelie down the cookie aisle?
No wheelies in the cookie aisle.  Just skid marks from braking too fast.  I warn him about how bad sugar is for the body but he ignores my admonitions.  Hey, he made it to 95 and I just turned 60 a couple/ few days ago.  I won't make it to 95.  Something or someone is gonna get me I am certain.

Side-Oilers

I love old guys like your dad and my Uncle Larry,(whom I posted about a few months ago.) Their attitudes about modern life are usually spot-on correct, and often hilarious.

As for Uncle Larry: Finally having his car (and driver's license) taken away from him by his well-meaning son, he started driving his golf cart everywhere...including inside the supermarket, and anywhere else it would fit through the front doors. No license plate, blinkers, insurance, nada. And it was a gasoline cart. So, lots of exhaust fumes.

He told me "What the hell are they going to do to me, I'm 94, legally blind, deaf, have a pacemaker, and only have one leg (all true.) 

He still had FUN!  In the supermarket, he'd often yell for people to watch out because he's blind, and then purposely ram his golf cart into someone's shopping cart, or a display, just to get their reaction. 

He'd take the golf cart out at night, too, and drive somewhere. I'm talking on city streets, not in some gate guarded retirement community.  He said the he could see just as well at night as during the day...because he's f-ing blind!  Hard to argue with that.

He never got lost, had an accident, or anything, driving like that. And he was usually about 50% "schnockered" as our dad's generation would have called being tipsy.

God, I loved him. Great guy, with a great attitude and lived every day to its fullest.  The most surprising thing about his great attitude for life is that he spent his entire working career as a mortician. As in an embalmer and ambulance driver in the years before coroners in the little town he lived in .  The mortuary was a family business his dad started in about 1910. Larry was "strongly encouraged"  to work there by his parents and then inherited it decades later. His wife worked there too, fixing hair and makeup of the deceased.  Talk about a rough life. But, he and his wife (Aunt Dorothy) were some of the nicest, most fun, young thinking and just great all around people I've ever known.

That generation truly was the greatest. 

We should all be so lucky.  Get your dad a more powerful motor for his scooter, and install wheelie bars.  Then tell him that Larry said to have fun in the supermarket!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 18, 2023, 01:38:54 AM
I love old guys like your dad and my Uncle Larry,(whom I posted about a few months ago.) Their attitudes about modern life are usually spot-on correct, and often hilarious.

As for Uncle Larry: Finally having his car (and driver's license) taken away from him by his well-meaning son, he started driving his golf cart everywhere...including inside the supermarket, and anywhere else it would fit through the front doors. No license plate, blinkers, insurance, nada. And it was a gasoline cart. So, lots of exhaust fumes.

He told me "What the hell are they going to do to me, I'm 94, legally blind, deaf, have a pacemaker, and only have one leg (all true.) 

He still had FUN!  In the supermarket, he'd often yell for people to watch out because he's blind, and then purposely ram his golf cart into someone's shopping cart, or a display, just to get their reaction. 

He'd take the golf cart out at night, too, and drive somewhere. I'm talking on city streets, not in some gate guarded retirement community.  He said the he could see just as well at night as during the day...because he's f-ing blind!  Hard to argue with that.

He never got lost, had an accident, or anything, driving like that. And he was usually about 50% "schnockered" as our dad's generation would have called being tipsy.

God, I loved him. Great guy, with a great attitude and lived every day to its fullest.  The most surprising thing about his great attitude for life is that he spent his entire working career as a mortician. As in an embalmer and ambulance driver in the years before coroners in the little town he lived in .  The mortuary was a family business his dad started in about 1910. Larry was "strongly encouraged"  to work there by his parents and then inherited it decades later. His wife worked there too, fixing hair and makeup of the deceased.  Talk about a rough life. But, he and his wife (Aunt Dorothy) were some of the nicest, most fun, young thinking and just great all around people I've ever known.

That generation truly was the greatest. 

We should all be so lucky.  Get your dad a more powerful motor for his scooter, and install wheelie bars.  Then tell him that Larry said to have fun in the supermarket!
Hey Van, great story about your Uncle Larry! I believe that those who work so closely around death have a different attitude on life compared to the rest of us. They see every day how fleeting and temporary we all are and then make a conscious decision to enjoy life more. Many of us mouth the words to enjoy life and try but quickly fall back into the rut of dissatisfaction whereas someone such as a mortician is on a constant high save for the preparation of a body of course.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert