News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Plastic walnut steering wheel

Started by deathsled, June 20, 2023, 11:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Once upon a time, I bought a surplus wheel with the intent to have the plastic stripped off and replaced with real walnut. For years I have had this wheel and it surfaced in my garage yesterday while looking for the oil filter wrench. Now I am back on the idea again. Problem in the past was the place that did this service is no longer in service. First off is there any place that does this anymore? Second, are there any markings that should be on the wheel to identify it as an original and not an aftermarket piece? Do the splines go bad on wheels? I understand this can be a contentious issue on the over the counter 66 wooden rims if you can find one.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427hunter

Quote from: deathsled on June 20, 2023, 11:48:21 AM
Once upon a time, I bought a surplus wheel with the intent to have the plastic stripped off and replaced with real walnut. For years I have had this wheel and it surfaced in my garage yesterday while looking for the oil filter wrench. Now I am back on the idea again. Problem in the past was the place that did this service is no longer in service. First off is there any place that does this anymore? Second, are there any markings that should be on the wheel to identify it as an original and not an aftermarket piece? Do the splines go bad on wheels? I understand this can be a contentious issue on the over the counter 66 wooden rims if you can find one.

The over the counter wheel for the 1966 shelby has no connection to the ford mustang wheel. You would be making a one off custom wheel so that would be up to you.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

deathsled

Quote from: 427hunter on June 21, 2023, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: deathsled on June 20, 2023, 11:48:21 AM

The over the counter wheel for the 1966 shelby has no connection to the ford mustang wheel. You would be making a one off custom wheel so that would be up to you.
rim even fooled some concours judges.  Can no longer find the service.  I may go this route because though I like the shape and cut of the original wheel, I am not crazy about the plastic walnut.  We shall see.

Bob Gaines

Dallas Mustang Parts was the company that used to do the conversions. You might contact them in case they are aware of others that offer the service.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 21, 2023, 06:49:32 PM
Dallas Mustang Parts was the company that used to do the conversions. You might contact them in case they are aware of others that offer the service.

Thank you once again, Mr. Gaines.

CalSpecial68

The only problem with contacting Dallas Mustang is that they shutdown several years ago. They went bankrupt and sold all their inventory at auction. I happen to have had the luck of buying the last unfinished wheel kit from them along with a jig to place the wheel on to install the real wood.     

deathsled

Quote from: CalSpecial68 on June 21, 2023, 10:18:37 PM
The only problem with contacting Dallas Mustang is that they shutdown several years ago. They went bankrupt and sold all their inventory at auction. I happen to have had the luck of buying the last unfinished wheel kit from them along with a jig to place the wheel on to install the real wood.     
There must be another place that does it. Maybe I should figure out how to do it myself. Unlikely.

C Griffith

There is Man in Michigan that only does restoration of the plastic wheel.
He was at Columbus Oh in the past and in Carlisle this year. His work
was to be proud of. If interested, I'll find his number for you.

C Griffith

His name is Bob Nowicki
Cell:(517)449-5322
Lansing, Michigan

Bob Gaines

The problem I have seen and heard of with the repaired deluxe plastic rim woodgrain wheel is that it is typical for a crack to re appear in the same place after the repair. Sometimes it appears quickly and other times later. It probably has to do with the flex in the wheel rim while driving. Fortunately now there are some very nice reproduction alternatives that are good enough to typically pass in most concours class's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

The original is still on the car and it is in decent shape.  I was looking for an unusual modification ( 6s843 being a day two car early on of course) by turning the wheel into a wooden one using the same core because I like the look of the three spoke pattern.  There must be some wood worker somewhere in the US that can do this.  I will find one in time.  Thank you everyone for your responses including Bob for his razor insights in how wheel repairs can go wrong and resurface.