News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

cobra gas tank

Started by dave65, July 10, 2018, 08:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave65

How do I get the gas tank out of a 2000 series Cobra? Mine is leaking badly. Any ideas about where I can get a replacement tank?

Cobra Ned

I would recommend checking with Drew Serb at Cobra Performance in Martinez, CA. His email is:  drew@cobraexperience.org
He is as knowledgeable and helpful as anyone.

Dan Case

Quote from: dave65 on July 10, 2018, 08:55:58 AM
How do I get the gas tank out of a 2000 series Cobra? Mine is leaking badly. Any ideas about where I can get a replacement tank?

Most originals can be sealed on the inside with "sloshing sealer". I have done three original car original tanks. I did the first in 1997 and many road and open tract miles with all kinds of street and race fuels with no issues. The last one I did for a friend was just to help lessen problems with a seldom driven car and fuels that contain ethanol.

Send me an e-mail (see my profile on this site) with your contact information and I send you a general outline. Dealing with a leaking fuel tank in a CSX20xxx roadster is not fun but one doesn't automatically have to swap in something aftermarket.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

CSX2259

Most radiator shops can perform the needed repairs as long as it is a seam issue, the repair would require re-soldering the area that is leaking. If the tank is rusting through then that would potentially require replacement of the fuel tank. Your best course of action would be a seam leak that would require soldering and then you can use the additional sealing system that Dan outlined above, this would also seal any potential surface rust you might have inside the tank.
Kirkham Motorsports made stainless steel fuel tanks for leaf spring Cobras but their rear substructure dimensions may have changed, you would have to consult with them regarding the dimensions.

Dan Case

Quoteauthor=CSX2259 link=topic=2368.msg20376#msg20376 date=1531263523]
Most radiator shops can perform the needed repairs as long as it is a seam issue, the repair would require re-soldering the area that is leaking. If the tank is rusting through then that would potentially require replacement of the fuel tank. Your best course of action would be a seam leak that would require soldering and then you can use the additional sealing system that Dan outlined above, this would also seal any potential surface rust you might have inside the tank.
Kirkham Motorsports made stainless steel fuel tanks for leaf spring Cobras but their rear substructure dimensions may have changed, you would have to consult with them regarding the dimensions.

Original AC Cars made tanks have collection bunch of solder joint types: panel seams, heads of tinner rivet fixing the baffles in place, the fuel level sensor  bung, fuel outlet bung, and brackets on each side panel for clamps to hold the tank to the chassis. Let's not forget any modification made over the decades including but not limited to clearances for through the body roll bars. I have seen every type joint leak in an original tank. One problem with fixing soft solder interfaces is that the vibrations that fatigued them in the first place will eventually get repaired joints especially since it is really hard to deep clean joints that had leaking fuel turn to varnish down in the cracks and crevices. 

Even if one has an exact duplicate tank assembly made, top tier shops have done that for customers, like it was made by AC Cars, I would still recommend sealing from the inside.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

CSX2259

To remove the fuel tank.....

1) drain any fuel from the tank
2) disconnect the fuel supply hose at the bottom drivers side of the fuel tank and remove the brass bung / strainer
3) remove both the passengers and drivers side fuel tank mounting brackets, inside the rear wheel wells where the large round access holes are
4) remove the fuel filler cap and connecting hose
5) remove both the drivers and passengers seats
6) remove the rear bulkhead panel, the upper portion not the lower ledge piece
7) remove the fuel tank by sliding it forward toward the interior of the car
08) disconnect the fuel level sensor wiring when you have enough access on the way out