News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Trunk battery

Started by andric, June 28, 2023, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andric

This topic may have been discussed before but I noticed on the 65 Shelby being auctioned on Bring a Trailer that the battery posts are on the trunk side of the battery. I've got the May 65 Road and Track magazine which features Carroll Shelby and his cars. On page 53 there is a picture of the trunk battery and the posts for the battery are on the quarter panel side. Which is correct?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: andric on June 28, 2023, 01:16:20 PM
This topic may have been discussed before but I noticed on the 65 Shelby being auctioned on Bring a Trailer that the battery posts are on the trunk side of the battery. I've got the May 65 Road and Track magazine which features Carroll Shelby and his cars. On page 53 there is a picture of the trunk battery and the posts for the battery are on the quarter panel side. Which is correct?
It depends on when the car was built and what battery it used. If a regular Ford battery was used ether 22 or 24 then the post were as the picture you posted . When SA bought a bunch of batteries at a bargain to use in the GT350 they were reverse post of the regular Ford like typical Mopar batteries (battery on driver side under the hood)  . Those batteries when mounted had the post on the opposite side of the case at it relates to the picture. Of course when SA stopped the rear mount battery in later 65 production they didn't have to do anything with the battery and it was as it came from Ford.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Cobra vent caps fit better on the later reverse post battery, so likely was the reason for the switch.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CharlesTurner on June 28, 2023, 09:53:25 PM
Cobra vent caps fit better on the later reverse post battery, so likely was the reason for the switch.
The Cobra vent caps are designed to only work on the push in caps of the early style batteries (what we call reverse post). They are not designed to work on the screw in cap batteries used in Ford products of that time. The Cobra vent cap was designed specifically for the early push on cap battery style. The Cobra caps will not seal properly if forced into the screw in type battery cell. That obsolete push on cap style battery and consequently likely lower price could be a reason that Shelby bought so many for 65 production .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 28, 2023, 11:46:28 PM
The Cobra vent caps are designed to only work on the push in caps of the early style batteries (what we call reverse post). They are not designed to work on the screw in cap batteries used in Ford products of that time. The Cobra vent cap was designed specifically for the early push on cap battery style. The Cobra caps will not seal properly if forced into the screw in type battery cell. That obsolete push on cap style battery and consequently likely lower price could be a reason that Shelby bought so many for 65 production .

True, but my comment was pointing out the cobra caps being on the battery side closest to quarter panel are ideal.  Additionally, there was better clearance with the trunk lid hinge with the reverse post.

Now who has a period photo of a correct reverse post battery?   :)
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

texas swede

This is a picture of the reversed post battery.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CharlesTurner on June 29, 2023, 12:43:24 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 28, 2023, 11:46:28 PM

True, but my comment was pointing out the cobra caps being on the battery side closest to quarter panel are ideal.  Additionally, there was better clearance with the trunk lid hinge with the reverse post.

Now who has a period photo of a correct reverse post battery?   :)
Ideal yes because If you use the vent caps as they are meant to be installed on a standard post battery then the posts are in the way of the vent tubes . Cobra Automotive made some caps at one time that have the vent tubes moved so they will work with the standard post.

Bob Gaines

A regular post Autolite battery did not use Cobra caps from SA.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: texas swede on June 29, 2023, 08:09:34 AM
This is a picture of the reversed post battery.
Texas Swede

Thanks.  I have an NOS battery similar to that, those caps are the push-in type like Bob mentioned previously.  They don't screw in like the later ones. 

Some pics below of the push-in caps, think these were posted on the old forum?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge