News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The future of the SAAC

Started by kjspeed, July 08, 2018, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

SAAC doesn't seem to have a plan for passing the reins on to younger folks
SAAC has a lot of new faces on the board. All at least 20 years younger than those of us who have been around since 1975. Registrars are always looking for a helping hand for that thankless job.

time to consider a modest, or even immodest due increase in order get the accounts up to snuff an most importantly, forge a tighter relationship between this forum and SAAC.
Now will that SAAC funded forum be limited to members only? Why would SAAC spend your dues to give something free to someone interested in the cars? Annual dues are a cheap fee to learn/access all things Shelby.

I believe we need to reach out to the Gen II Shelby owners.
That would be the Dodge Omni owners - right? TS was formed for the new cars SAAC continues for the 62-70 cars. You do realize that there are over 100,000 Shelby/Ford late model cars produced/modified since the SVT was rebadged as a GT500 Shelby in 2005. There is also no way to have a registry since SA will not share any production/ownership info with anyone.

SAAC is not a club like the Corvette club, or the MCA, both of which have an elected board, and are subject to independent financial review, and both are in no danger of failing by the way.
Shelby has about 1/3 of the possible owners as members. CS built only 13,000 cars in 8 years. Corvette and Mustang draw from millions of owners. Want to make something cost effective spread it over a bigger sales base. They are also probably non-profit corporations like the Vette museum - not to mention funding from the manufacturers. Those are required to have public access to financial data. SAAC is a privately held company and has no such requirements.

No parking organization,quality food vendors, some of these cars are 1,000,000 large and need some thought put into it for over night security etc.
Car value has bitten SAAC in the butt. Since the car are woth so much now people don't put them on the track in the numbers they did in the past. Hell they don't even bring them to the conventions unless it's in their own back yard. Accordingly SAAC has needed it piggyback on the back of other events because there are no longer enough participants to rent a facility for our exclusive use. The other group rents the track and we rent time from them. Tracks have rules that you must use their food vendors and those vendors won't open/staff their stands without a guarantee of x amount of money. Security costs money and even worse exposes the club to liability. If the club says don't worry we hired Joe's guard service to watch your property at the track and your car disappears are you going to sue the track, Joe's or SAAC - I'd wager all 3 since they assured you your car would be safe and you only bought 500,000 insurance on your million dollar car to save a few bucks.

I was informed by higher ups that the registries are owned individually by the registrars of the particular year independent of SAAC.
This makes sense. Probably came about when CS was trying to take ownership of the Registries the work product of the Registrars. They have put a lot of effort into gathering and keeping the information on the cars. I would hope that SAAC covers their expenses and pays them to provide the information to the registry.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

My guess is, it is set up as a non profit LLC and dues are contributions to the organization. At least the moderators are allowing a discussion here without shutting things down. Hopefully they don't... So do the moderators from each year car get equal dividends for their input? The organizations business is the promotion of all things SHELBY? We are appreciative of the behind the scenes work that goes on so I don't want it to seem like a bitch session but more of a lets get out from behind the scenes and have a self promoting person that is good at describing up to date things that many are concerned about. If people pay to be a part of something they want to know a few things don't they?

Greg

"SAAC is a privately held company and has no such requirements."  I personally could care less about their financials but its nice to know who owns it and I assume they are proud of it.  Everyone that has made comments only cares about this persons or peoples company, so I don't think the request is to much. 

So..."98SVT - was 06GT" who owns it? 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

kjspeed

This conversation is clarifying which I hope is a step in the right direction. As a newcomer I don't have any historical prospective beyond about a year ago. I've been aware of SAAC for years but really had no idea what the organization does. There are many things that are being done well it seems; publication of the quarterly online magazines and annual print editions, maintaining registries and planning conventions. Unfortunately, the medium we are using to have this discussion, the forum, is where perceptions about SAAC are formed (especially newcomers) and that experience currently leaves a lot to be desired.

Maintaining an interactive technology presence like a forum involves significant challenges unlike print publishing, printed registries and convention planning. Most of the people using this forum also use other technology like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., and have become accustomed to the ease of use that those platforms have developed after billions of dollars in investment. The more advanced they become the worse this free open source forum looks. Combine that with silence from the Powers That Be and you will have frustrated users.

There are enough other issues that can divide a club; Originals vs. continuations, concours vs. day 2, classic vs. modern day, that we don't need one more wedge issue to split Shelby enthusiasts apart. If SAAC wants to have a forum I believe it needs to execute it well. That probably includes defining what the purpose of the forum is and then stick to just that. Leave everything else up to others who may want to run their own forum, Facebook page or website. Trying to be all things to all people on a antiquated platform that runs on autopilot doesn't seem to be working.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Greg on July 08, 2018, 10:21:42 PMSo..."98SVT - was 06GT" who owns it?

An easy CT corp search:

Business Name:   SHELBY AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE CLUB, INC.   
Citizenship/State Inc:   Domestic/CT
Business ID:   0968996   Last Report Filed Year:   2018
Business Address:   37 WAREHOUSE POINT ROAD, WALLINGFORD, CT, 06492   
Business Type:   Non-Stock
Mailing Address:   9207 ARBOR BRANCH DRIVE #111, DALLAS, TX, 75243 (Note: this is Richard Kottle an Attorney)   
Business Status:   Active
Date Inc/Registration:   May 29, 2009       
Annual Report Due Date:   05/29/2019       

Principals Details
Name/Title   Business Address   
CURT VOGT  PRESIDENT   37 WAREHOUSE POINT ROAD, WALLINGFORD, CT, 06492   
DIRK L. GASTERLAND  TREASURER
VIRGINIA BLINN  SECRETARY   
`
Total Number of Principals : 8 
Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR   

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 08, 2018, 11:48:50 PM
Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

Missing 3?

By Gen II I meant SVT Mustang, that data should be available from Ford, GT500 forum, SVT forum etc. Why bother SA? They are a small player.

You seem to have a counter to most everyone's comments, what is your answer? Leave it as is and watch it continue to wither away?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 2112 on July 09, 2018, 12:05:51 AM
Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

Missing 3?

By Gen II I meant SVT Mustang, that data should be available from Ford, GT500 forum, SVT forum etc. Why bother SA? They are a small player.

You seem to have a counter to most everyone's comments, what is your answer? Leave it as is and watch it continue to wither away?

They included the top three in the total count. I figured you meant the new cars - what would SAAC offer those 100,000 owners that they don't get from Team Shelby? They can't tout the race history or championships their cars have won. They can't do articles on restoration or what is concours yet. Shelby decided he wanted to do the Vegas mini convention and took that from SAAC. And most of all they don't fall within the SAAC "mission statement" of backing the 62-70 cars. There is nothing wrong with how it is focused. You get your magazine and annual convention just what they offer for your dues. Will it wither away yes. It will go the way of clubs for the Model T and now Studebaker, Nash, Model A and other orphan cars. As the average Joe who likes getting a magazine and going to an annual convention sells his car to a collector/museum whose only desire is to add to the collection and not support a club it will die. Many collections have multiple CS cars - how many are unaccounted for in the registries 1/3? So figure at least 1/2 the cars are out of the weekend driver pool. More and more of the cars will be taken out of circulation due to owners not wanting to risk them in public. That means fewer cars at conventions which means fewer people coming to see the cars etc etc.
Now how does the club motivate the owners to sign up for track time and come out and beat up their investment? The concours cars are growing each year but you only see them once when the owner/restorer brings it to the convention to get a gold award then it's hidden away until the owner decides he wants his mug on Barrett Jackson.

shelbydoug

This discussion so far is fine.

It shows how SAAC exists now. It shows how it has diversified to protect itself as best it can from future attacks and challenges to intellectual properties, i.e., it has strategically positioned itself.

What it needs to do is discuss what members want from it now and in the future.

So far, it is delivering everything most want from it.

It has adapted itself in order to adjust to changing demographics of which it has no control over.

The biggest issue seems to stem from the lack of administration on this forum. Ask yourself, what do you want from this Forum?

That's the question. What do you want from SAAC?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69gt500

While I am not a regular poster on this Forum I have been a SAAC member for a good number of years and I currently own a Shelby. I grew up admiring these cars and continue to do so today. My perspective may be different than many others but I would like to respectfully share it.

I can only recall participating in 2 SAAC events over the last 20 years or so simply because the travel simply does not work for me. I don't mind my very fair dues going to support these events even though I know that I may not benefit from them (I am assuming that much of the dues go toward putting on the SAAC events but I may be incorrect). Most of what I get out of membership is actually obtained through this Forum. Until recently I was under the impression (my fault) the Forum was financially supported by SAAC but now I know different.

We live in a different age now and I will speculate that many of the members are like me, we draw from this Forum and we look forward to receiving the one publication each year. While we would like to participate in the events, it simply almost never works for us but we do enjoy reading and learning from the exchanges that take place on the Forum. The digital age is here and everyone has long since adjusted to it. With that said, I would love to see the "Club" take a more aggressive approach to this site even if that means the dues have to be adjusted accordingly. This is one of the few forums that I visit on a daily basis and I want to see it be the best that it can be and if it costs a little extra to make that happen, then so be it.

Thanks and happy motoring!

cboss70

I have a friend who is a Shelby owner and fellow club member who recently purchased an 80's Porsche. I told him he should join the Porsche Club of America PCA as I am also a member of that club. Every time I talk to him he can't get over telling m about the monthly publications  he gets (one national and one regional), the scores of local, regional, etc events. There's something for everyone. There are local leaders who split up the work and break activities down into track days, rally, fun casual events, to monthly club meetings hosted at shops in the area that also provide educational opportunities.  Porsche sells more cars but also has way more members than car owners so that's not the only reason its so much bigger.  If someone is interested in seeing how professionally and different club operates they should check out the PCA, its site and then also its regional sites like the CT Valley Region PCA. I'm sure its a massive undertaking to build the industry relationships, get sponsorships etc to make it work. Regional clubs have guidelines and are held accountable (I don't like McDonalds but sure know I can count on the same look and feel regardless of where I am in the country). The PCA is done so well its hard not to get involved in activities.

It probably sounds harsh but as far as the SAAC club is concerned I don't feel I get much of any value being a member on a "regular basis" but then again I'm a passive member with other mid-life activities taking my time. I maintain my membership because I appreciate that a history of these cars is being maintained (like a donation) and not because I have expectations of getting anything back from being a member. From a club perspective the greatest value to me personally is the car verification and history retention. I get the most out of this forum because I'm looking for restoration information and love the details on these cars in general. Selfishly I would love to see the SAAC club evolve to something like the PCA but that's just one persons perspective and taste.

Just curious as to whether Porche(the car company)supports the Porsche club ,either through cash or in kind disbursement's ....Our situation is a bit different as we are,in a sense,an orphan make....They do make new Shelby ,but they are very different from the early cars( and made at a very different Shelby American)So,Ford has no "horse in this race" (pun intended)whereas Porsche (the company)does and should for marketing purposes...So,does Porsche support the Porsche club?

Greg

Quote from: cboss70 on July 09, 2018, 08:20:59 AM
I have a friend who is a Shelby owner and fellow club member who recently purchased an 80's Porsche. I told him he should join the Porsche Club of America PCA as I am also a member of that club. Every time I talk to him he can't get over telling m about the monthly publications  he gets (one national and one regional), the scores of local, regional, etc events. There's something for everyone. There are local leaders who split up the work and break activities down into track days, rally, fun casual events, to monthly club meetings hosted at shops in the area that also provide educational opportunities.  Porsche sells more cars but also has way more members than car owners so that's not the only reason its so much bigger.  If someone is interested in seeing how professionally and different club operates they should check out the PCA, its site and then also its regional sites like the CT Valley Region PCA. I'm sure its a massive undertaking to build the industry relationships, get sponsorships etc to make it work. Regional clubs have guidelines and are held accountable (I don't like McDonalds but sure know I can count on the same look and feel regardless of where I am in the country). The PCA is done so well its hard not to get involved in activities.

It probably sounds harsh but as far as the SAAC club is concerned I don't feel I get much of any value being a member on a "regular basis" but then again I'm a passive member with other mid-life activities taking my time. I maintain my membership because I appreciate that a history of these cars is being maintained (like a donation) and not because I have expectations of getting anything back from being a member. From a club perspective the greatest value to me personally is the car verification and history retention. I get the most out of this forum because I'm looking for restoration information and love the details on these cars in general. Selfishly I would love to see the SAAC club evolve to something like the PCA but that's just one persons perspective and taste.

For me, once I learned that the SAAC is a business and IT IS NOT a non-profit LLC, that made a lot of things much clearer.  I find it hard to believe that the owners of the SAAC have no affiliation to the SAAC Forum but some say they do not.  If that is true, then the forum is what it is and it is truly at the guidance of the volunteers (to you that are volunteers, your efforts are appreciated).  They should really rethink their bylaws IMHO, there is a reason our wonderful country only allows a President to run 2 terms. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

FL SAAC

We reached out several years ago with ideas on expansion and inclusion of late models.  Promotional ideas to enhance and trigger growth.  Essentially no interest was expressed and were told to do what we wanted in our region.  We did.

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 08, 2018, 09:50:52 PM

I believe we need to reach out to the Gen II Shelby owners.
That would be the Dodge Omni owners - right? TS was formed for the new cars SAAC continues for the 62-70 cars. You do realize that there are over 100,000 Shelby/Ford late model cars produced/modified since the SVT was rebadged as a GT500 Shelby in 2005. There is also no way to have a registry since SA will not share any production/ownership info
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

Missing 3?

You got 8

Principals Details
Name/Title   Business Address   

1 CURT VOGT  PRESIDENT   37 WAREHOUSE POINT ROAD, WALLINGFORD, CT, 06492   

2 DIRK L. GASTERLAND  TREASURER

3 VIRGINIA BLINN  SECRETARY   
`
Name:   
4 JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   

5 DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   

6 RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   

7 HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   

8 CURT VOGT DIRECTOR   

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

+ 1 Pedigree the real Shelby American Automobile Club

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 09, 2018, 01:01:28 AM
Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

Missing 3?

They included the top three in the total count. I figured you meant the new cars - what would SAAC offer those 100,000 owners that they don't get from Team Shelby? They can't tout the race history or championships their cars have won. They can't do articles on restoration or what is concours yet. Shelby decided he wanted to do the Vegas mini convention and took that from SAAC. And most of all they don't fall within the SAAC "mission statement" of backing the 62-70 cars. There is nothing wrong with how it is focused. You get your magazine and annual convention just what they offer for your dues. Will it wither away yes. It will go the way of clubs for the Model T and now Studebaker, Nash, Model A and other orphan cars. As the average Joe who likes getting a magazine and going to an annual convention sells his car to a collector/museum whose only desire is to add to the collection and not support a club it will die. Many collections have multiple CS cars - how many are unaccounted for in the registries 1/3? So figure at least 1/2 the cars are out of the weekend driver pool. More and more of the cars will be taken out of circulation due to owners not wanting to risk them in public. That means fewer cars at conventions which means fewer people coming to see the cars etc etc.
Now how does the club motivate the owners to sign up for track time and come out and beat up their investment? The concours cars are growing each year but you only see them once when the owner/restorer brings it to the convention to get a gold award then it's hidden away until the owner decides he wants his mug on Barrett Jackson.

I have all UNGOLD cars