News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Adding zinc to a 66 G.T. 350H

Started by deathsled, July 01, 2023, 12:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

trotrof1

Some information I have read /viewed suggested that an additive didn't work as well as an oil with an integral chemical package. Maybe this could be a battle for market share I can't be certain. I just use Brad Penn oil and it makes life easier, my cars are happy.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

trotrof1

There are several similar products as Mobile 1. What I am comparing to is that product group to stand alone additive that may not be as effective. Chemical content levels and price per unit is a different subject.

FL SAAC

Quote from: trotrof1 on July 01, 2023, 10:42:41 AM
There are several similar products as Mobile 1. What I am comparing to is that product group to stand alone additive that may not be as effective. Chemical content levels and price per unit is a different subject.

Similar but not a like :

My pronouns are # not a chemist, # voodoo, # do not put crap into your motor, # witch craft, # hokus pocus, # BS a la king in my motor
# just use Mobil 1 15-50 and forgetaboutit

More than 40 years ago, Mobil 1™ motor oil was introduced, making it the first globally available full synthetic automotive motor oil. 

Synthetic motor oil brand – Mobil 1™ history | Mobil™
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/about-us/mobil-1/one-great-oil-one-great-story#:~:text=One%20great%20story.,full%20synthetic%20automotive%20motor%20oil.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

trotrof1

Just to summarize, Tony is a devout promoter of Chevrolet and Mobile 1. When he discloses his favorite prophylactic then we will have a trifecta trash file. Here it comes, watch for it.

deathsled

Serious question here. Why would synthetic motor oil need zinc as an additive? Doesn't the fact it is full synthetic by its very nature prevent wearing of camshaft and related parts? Even so I still think I did something positive by adding said zinc so it may then serve as a placebo effect if nothing else.

trotrof1

Depends on the application. Flat tappet camshafts need it for lobe to lifter contact. Modern roller lifter/ rocker arm cams not so much. Apparently, the zinc and manganese in the oil was shortening catalyst life in newer cars. Synthetic or not in your case best to have it.

deathsled

Quote from: trotrof1 on July 01, 2023, 01:56:29 PM
Depends on the application. Flat tappet camshafts need it for lobe to lifter contact. Modern roller lifter/ rocker arm cams not so much. Apparently, the zinc and manganese in the oil was shortening catalyst life in newer cars. Synthetic or not in your case best to have it.
I will look into Brad Penn oil and yes, Mobil for the next "olio" change.

acapulco350

you are a natural in front of the camera

your talents are wasted as a lawyer

maybe the lead role in the next gladiator movie ?

shelbyhertz66

My engine builders shop builds many hi performance race engines
and he recommends Maxima high performance 10-40 for flat tappet motors it has a high zinc content as well
it's what I use .  I am sure  Brad Penn ( I think now Penngrade)  is good also and
that is what he previously recommended.

deathsled

Quote from: acapulco350 on July 02, 2023, 07:51:12 AM

No talent in front of a camera here. Or behind one either. Moves are awkward. Clumsy at times and physical looks that faded 40 years ago. It's all about the red beauty in front of the camera. That's the thing about old cars. They have the potential to look the same as the day we first saw and drove them unlike our mortal selves. And if they are in rough shape they clean up well.
As for a gladiator role more like the introverted last minute stand-in Roman philosopher spotted for 24 frames and then is gone from view. That's more like it. Well my father tells me that Pannavision isn't using film anymore and that the cameras are all digital. I don't know how frame rates are counted or if they are indeed counted at all anymore. Was 24 frames per second I think.

deathsled

Quote from: acapulco350 on July 02, 2023, 07:51:12 AM

As a further addendum, the video was about adding zinc to an engine, not the sort of zinc that might be exchanged in your suggested "gladiator" movie. Not headed that way.

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Harris Speedster

I just fired a brand new factory supercharged engine in a baby bird last week.
Builder recomended that I buy a bottle of;
LUCAS TB-ZINC-PLUS for the initial break in run.
It actually says engine break in additive for race engines on the bottle.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7