News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Falling fuel tax revenues have states looking at charging drivers by the mile

Started by deathsled, July 01, 2023, 11:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Their downfall is electric cars. They pitch the EV and gas sales go down reducing their income. CA gas taxes/fees is $1.26 per gallon (diesel even higher) if cars average 25 mpg that's 5 cents per mile driven. Now when you charge your 300 mile battery you'll have to ante up an extra $15. They can't just tax the EV since all those who have bought will discover they have been getting a free ride from the ICE cars. .gov will add a "road tax" to all cars making it "equal taxation" and forget to negate the per gallon fuel tax which they are already charging to maintain the roads but which has mysteriously gone to other projects. Just wait until you get $1,000+ added to your registration fee because you drove 20,000 miles last year.

Most EVs can generally travel 3 to 4 miles per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of energy. A full recharge, if your vehicle's range is 300 miles, would require 75-100 kWh and cost $10-$14. Adding $15 for a per mile tax and you're about $30 or 10 cents per mile. Still cheaper than current ICE costs but if you use the fuel prices that were in effect during the last administration the EV pencils out about 20-30% higher than ICE per mile. That's just driving and not figuring in the higher initial cost and needed "engine" (battery replacement @ 100,000 miles) overhaul ratio of 2.5-3:1 of an ICE engine.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

They could find a way to charge electric owners a "tax per gallon" but they dont want to, they are too busy pushing it.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on July 02, 2023, 09:00:01 AM
They could find a way to charge electric owners a "tax per gallon" but they dont want to, they are too busy pushing it.
A lot of places are requiring a second meter for home car charging stations. That will make it easy for them to add a per KW fee for EV usage ..... or deny you the ability to charge your car forcing you into public transit.

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 02, 2023, 11:37:28 AM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on July 02, 2023, 09:00:01 AM
A lot of places are requiring a second meter for home car charging stations. That will make it easy for them to add a per KW fee for EV usage ..... or deny you the ability to charge your car forcing you into public transit.
Forcing us out of our cars. I can easily see that happening.
"You will own nothing and will be happy." Klaus Schwab
Remember that name. And his ilk.
Addendum:  Further research indicates that the phrase traces its origins to a female Danish politician named Ida Auken back in 2016 which the World Economic Forum adopted as their sacred mantra. 
I suppose the sentiment behind the thought is really they (world leaders) will have everything and we the people will have nothing and supposedly be happy. 
We will see about that.  I took an oath to uphold the US Constitution and to fight all enemies of the Constitution both foreign and domestic.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on July 02, 2023, 11:57:44 AM
I suppose the sentiment behind the thought is really they (world leaders) will have everything and we the people will have nothing and supposedly be happy.
As it has been since the dawn of time. It's the golden rule - he with the gold makes the rules. Don't forget when the US got it's start - the king of England basically owned everything and even the people on it. When William the Conqueror took England he divided everything between his trusted knights and they ran their areas paying him a tax. They owned the land, buildings, crops, animals and people. "We the People" upset their apple cart and they want it back. They always tout the Magna Carta as a great freedom document. It wasn't it only covered the nobles and how the king could treat them it did nothing for the common man.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert