News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

70 GT 500 muffler

Started by tahart, July 07, 2023, 05:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tahart

I need a new muffler for my 70 GT 500. Possibly new pipes as well. Where is best source for that? It presently has the original exhaust system and I want to stay with similar reproductions. Tks!

Coralsnake

There is only one good system

Scott Fuller Reproductions

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

crossboss

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 07, 2023, 05:57:52 PM

...With power loss of around 25-30 horsepower. IF that matters to you.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

azdriver

Scott Fuller systems cost 25 horsepower over other? Is there a dyno test to verify this?

Pat

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 07, 2023, 05:57:52 PM

+ 1 .  That is if you are concerned about what is the closest thing to what came on the car from Ford.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Scott Fuller has the most correct and authentic exhaust systems

The End
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

tahart

Scott's muffler is $675 and CJ Pony has same muffler for $260?

Coralsnake

No they dont have the "same" muffler

Scott's is an identical copy of the original

CJ Pony has a muffler that might work ...big difference

I'm sorry I thought your original post said the "best" not the cheapest?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

If you are doing price comparison then you should know that a NOS genuine 69/70 Shelby GT500 transverse mufflers typically sell for 2000.00 plus if you can even find one. That genuine price has come down quite a bit from what it was going for because when Scott's system came out it was so accurate it was hard if not impossible to tell the difference from genuine and so many of those requiring only the most authentic opted to buy Scott's system causing demand of NOS originals to lessen hence a market price reduction. It is all relative.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Quote from: azdriver on July 07, 2023, 06:31:43 PM
Scott Fuller systems cost 25 horsepower over other? Is there a dyno test to verify this?

Pat

All stock (or near stock) transverse mufflers are very restrictive. I personally reduced 4 tenths by simply removing it and going with a decent set of turbo mufflers. Yes, not stock. However, more power. There you go, verified difference. However, the topic was about the 'best' replacement for a transverse muffler. Lastly (again, not stock) Flowmaster makes a good flowing transverse muffler...IF you are into that sort of thing.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

tahart

Original post did not say best, or cheapest, muffler. It said best source, and that I wanted a similar reproduction. All cars are different. Mine does not have the original engine, has was painted a different color with an interior color change as well. It will never be judged. It'll be driven hard, and not fretted over if it gets a rock chip in the paint. So, cost is a bit more relative. A good muffler that resembles the original, and fits as the original fit, is all that I need.

As to Scott's schematic, he does not show the collector part, so it threw me off. It looked as if his tailpipes were the last part of a complete system, and they are not. He clarified that for me.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tahart on July 07, 2023, 10:42:41 PM
Original post did not say best, or cheapest, muffler. It said best source, and that I wanted a similar reproduction. All cars are different. Mine does not have the original engine, has was painted a different color with an interior color change as well. It will never be judged. It'll be driven hard, and not fretted over if it gets a rock chip in the paint. So, cost is a bit more relative. A good muffler that resembles the original, and fits as the original fit, is all that I need.

As to Scott's schematic, he does not show the collector part, so it threw me off. It looked as if his tailpipes were the last part of a complete system, and they are not. He clarified that for me.
If your not that concerned about originality Then Branda Performance sells one https://store.cobranda.com/21trmu.html  . They are a long time supporter of the Shelby Marque. I have read about and also have had people tell me first hand of numerous poor customer service complaints about CJ.

Shelbypat

The transverse muffler on mine come from Branda and when I look at it carefully I noticed it is a two inch inlet and outlet ( GT350 ) resized the 2 1/4.
So be aware about that depend what is your criteria...

Patrick

KR500

Quote from: Shelbypat on July 08, 2023, 05:21:52 PM
The transverse muffler on mine come from Branda and when I look at it carefully I noticed it is a two inch inlet and outlet ( GT350 ) resized the 2 1/4.
So be aware about that depend what is your critary...

Patrick
Patrick
First off the inlet/outlet size at the muffler on 68/69 CJ's is 2 1/8" not 2 1/4". The system is 2 1/4" at the H pipe but not at the muffler. Second I believe that that is what Ford/Arvin did originally, spot weld a 2 1/8" nipple to a 2" muffler. Perhaps Scott Fuller can confirm that being true or not or not true. Just what it looks like to me.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR500 on July 08, 2023, 05:57:06 PM
Quote from: Shelbypat on July 08, 2023, 05:21:52 PM
So be aware about that depend what is your critary...

Patrick
Patrick
First off the inlet/outlet size at the muffler on 68/69 CJ's is 2 1/8" not 2 1/4". The system is 2 1/4" at the H pipe but not at the muffler. Second I believe that that is what Ford/Arvin did originally, spot weld a 2 1/8" nipple to a 2" muffler. Perhaps Scott Fuller can confirm that being true or not or not true. Just what it looks like to me.
+1 . The resonators are 2 "inlet also. The 2/14 pipe is reduced down into the 2 inch inlet of the resonator. I suppose the one size fits all made more sense economically then back pressure efficiency.