News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

70 GT 500 muffler

Started by tahart, July 07, 2023, 05:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Im reminding of buying four GT350 H pipes from various vendors, before I bought the pipe from Scott.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 08, 2023, 08:12:18 PM
Im reminding of buying four GT350 H pipes from various vendors, before I bought the pipe from Scott.
I have an "NOS" systems exhaust on my 70 GT350. Does anyone remember that company? NPD sold them but when I went to buy one they were then obsolete and NPD had them as out. As luck would have it my old friend Scott at NPD told me they had one system left not in the system and I bought it around 1999. It fit good on my car. Does anyone know what happened to that company and why they quit making exhaust systems? I put a NOS 69 Muffler on my car though. I might be wrong on the name but thought it was NOS exhausts and think they were out of Il.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 09, 2023, 08:52:35 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on July 08, 2023, 08:12:18 PM
I have an "NOS" systems exhaust on my 70 GT350. Does anyone remember that company? NPD sold them but when I went to buy one they were then obsolete and NPD had them as out. As luck would have it my old friend Scott at NPD told me they had one system left not in the system and I bought it around 1999. It fit good on my car. Does anyone know what happened to that company and why they quit making exhaust systems? I put a NOS 69 Muffler on my car though. I might be wrong on the name but thought it was NOS exhausts and think they were out of Il.
NOS Unlimited -Terry Cramer. He had Arvin the original mfg to Ford make them up from existing patterns they still had. That is why they fit so good. NOS Unlimited did not sell the transverse however . He quit making them because of a dispute with Arvin.
He is still around in the Ford Performance world on the side lines . I and others here have interacted with him for parts etc. over the years. Others like Jim Cowles RIP had tried get them to make more exhaust but could not get anywhere with Arvin.  Scott Fuller went to Arvin and they were completely soured because of the previous deal with NOS Unlimited Scott related.Scott had to start from ground zero which added tremendously to his costs . I have used both systems quite a bit over the years and they both fit as original . NOS Unlimited compared to Scott's system appeared less authentic given Scott has the engineering numbers stamped in plus sells a virtually identical to the factory transverse, clamps ,hangers etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scott Fuller

Good summary Bob.  I have several sets of Terry's resonator pipes that I've picked up over the years and just keep them around for reference.  I don't think Terry every made anything except the 1969 triple-hump resonator pipes for CJ/SCJ.  No 1967/1968 2-inch, no 1968.5 GT500KR or Mustang, and no 1969 GT-350/351 W pipes.  The pipes are interesting to me because they were made by Arvin.  But there are many differences between them and the original assembly line parts.  Still cool to see.  I took a pair of Terry's today and put them in the weld fixture I use to fabricate mine and it fit very well, not perfect but very well.  Saw the original tooling used to make the resonators when I visited an old Arvin plant.  They had acres of old tooling and machines sitting outside rusting.  Some I could determine what it was for and some not.  Asked if I could walk the yard and was told "no".  Asked it I could buy it and was told "no".  Sending it to scrap.

Scott Fuller

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Scott Fuller on July 09, 2023, 10:12:49 PM
Good summary Bob.  I have several sets of Terry's resonator pipes that I've picked up over the years and just keep them around for reference.  I don't think Terry every made anything except the 1969 triple-hump resonator pipes for CJ/SCJ.  No 1967/1968 2-inch, no 1968.5 GT500KR or Mustang, and no 1969 GT-350/351 W pipes.  The pipes are interesting to me because they were made by Arvin.  But there are many differences between them and the original assembly line parts.  Still cool to see.  I took a pair of Terry's today and put them in the weld fixture I use to fabricate mine and it fit very well, not perfect but very well.  Saw the original tooling used to make the resonators when I visited an old Arvin plant.  They had acres of old tooling and machines sitting outside rusting.  Some I could determine what it was for and some not.  Asked if I could walk the yard and was told "no".  Asked it I could buy it and was told "no".  Sending it to scrap.

Scott Fuller
I think I still have a couple of one side of the unique GT350/351W intermediate pipes I got from Terry one of the times he was selling what was left a couple decades ago .I will have to look if they have a engineering number or not . If they do I will know they originally were Ford or if not then Terry's Arvin stock.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

I agree Terry only sold the 3 hump intermediate and turn out pipes for 69/70 Shelby. Jim Cowles RIP had some 2 inch double hump intermediate pipes made up that were of the same OEM quality about 15-20 years ago. I don't know who he had make them.

Special Ed

Correct scott and arvin was just north of me seymour indiana from what i remember. Nos unlimited was was the best in the 80s and they made correct mufflers just not ford oval and engineering #5230 instead arvin id #s on resonators mufflers tailpipes etc. Back in mid 80s terrys first run of 500 systems were steel like originals but tailpipes mufflers were aluminized and we were driving cars back then before enclosed trailers u know!! So i asked terry if he could make the whole system aluminized so pipes wouldnt rust so next 500 system run was totally aluminized and i remember him coming to saac meet with trailer loaded down to the ground and he told me if i bought 10 systems i would get 1 free so i did. Then in the 90s arvin dryed up and no more then canada exhaust was made (ray nadua) toronto canada obelete ford parts company (like green sales of usa i was there severaltimes in peter kluts (shelby shop) now legendarys motorcars) area back years ago. The canada exhaust wasnt CONCOURS correct but would work then after meeting scott fuller ( the rocket man ) i told him there was a big need for concours correct exhaust so him being a genuis working for the government had lots of connections to makes parts correct and i think the first thing he made was 68 1/2 cj kr starter delay a very hard part to find then exhaust made from assembly line (not service type) exhaust systems like  69 original parts i sent him and others who cared about getting it right with ford id #s and all markings #s and datecodes etc. Then became the big problem whats more correct the ford nos service replacement exhaust that was made back in the 70s and not like assemblyline or the new scott fuller made from assembly line correct exhaust?  Thats is the big ? Alot has to do with the pipe bending mandrell etc and ford id #s alignment tabs and the running changes and scotts date codes are correct from documented research but i can tell u this put a concours correct fuller exhaust on your car and any other exhaust and see how it fits and u will see why its worth the $.

shelbymann1970

Thanks Bob, Ed and Scott for your shared knowledge on this. The only problem I had putting my exhaust on was the fact the car wasn't on a lift for ground clearance! I still need "correct" muffler to collector pipes. Like I said I was lucky in that my system was NPD's last at their Livonia(now Canton) store and Scott Halseth sold it to me and it wasn't in their system. I had bought a NOS Ford muffler years earlier. I still have a pair of original used 3 hump GT500 resonators in my attic. Cut them off of the bad pipes back in 1984. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

If u are worried about the cost then i would go with precision exhaust Dave E. now makes a correct looking resonator pipe exhaust system cj and kentucky mustang  branda etc sells his new tapered resonator type pipes system so it really depends on how concours  correct u want your car to be and if its ever judged on a lift u can see all the differences and how it fits and the original ford #s etc. So if u go in div1  or concours trailered class u should have fuller exhaust or NOS exhaust  but in div 11 or concours driven class u can go either way so it just depends on the car and how correct u want to be but fuller exhaust is the best and  always will be  but the new  improved precision exhaust is better now if u are on a budget and going to drive car to shows so u really get what u pay for either way now and if u want raw steel or aluminized exhaust system.