News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'65 GT350 5006 at Archway Ford

Started by Bill Collins, July 09, 2023, 07:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Collins

I recently discovered a remarkable ad that appeared in the Baltimore Sun newspaper on Sunday, February 25, 1965. It is a display ad announcing the arrival and display of the Mustang GT350.

A scan of the ad is attached. What is even more remarkable (to me) is that the car described in the ad is most certainly 006. Although the photo is from the 1965 Shelby press kit and possibly not of my car, the timing of the ad relative to when 006 arrived at the dealership and some key phrases in the ad are rather compelling evidence.

006 was reportedly air freighted to Pennsylvania to appear at the Philadelphia Auto show, which ran January 9-15. It was purchased there by Les Lepedus (sp?) who owned Archway. The MSO from Shelby to Archway is dated February 12th, about two weeks prior to the announcement ad.

The ad title reads "Mustang GT350", which was the official name of the car at the time and listed as its trade name on the MSO, which also recites "285 HP", a rating duplicated in the ad. As we know, the GT350's rating was subsequently increased to 306. The ad text begins by referring to it as the "Meanest Mustang" - a phrase that also appears on a sign placed on the roof of 006 when Archway displayed it at the Baltimore World Of Wheels show, where the first retail owner purchased it on March 5, 1965.

I am fortunate to have a copy of the MSO and some photos, which are attached. I am still looking for photos from the Philly Auto Show. The Philadelphia Inquirer had several days of show coverage, but the GT350 is mentioned in only one small photo article, obviously written from a press release, that does not mention its presence at the show. But maybe someone has a snapshot taken there. If you do, I would like to hear from you!
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

GT350Lad

Thanks for sharing Bill. Very cool. You're very lucky to have these photos. They are like looking back in time

Hope to see more

6S373
6S1276

JD

Quote from: GT350Lad on July 09, 2023, 09:09:30 PM
Thanks for sharing Bill. Very cool. You're very lucky to have these photos. They are like looking back in time

Hope to see more

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tesgt350

Quote from: Bill Collins on July 09, 2023, 07:20:32 PM
I recently discovered a remarkable ad that appeared in the Baltimore Sun newspaper on Sunday, February 25, 1965. It is a display ad announcing the arrival and display of the Mustang GT350.

A scan of the ad is attached. What is even more remarkable (to me) is that the car described in the ad is most certainly 006. Although the photo is from the 1965 Shelby press kit and possibly not of my car, the timing of the ad relative to when 006 arrived at the dealership and some key phrases in the ad are rather compelling evidence.

006 was reportedly air freighted to Pennsylvania to appear at the Philadelphia Auto show, which ran January 9-15. It was purchased there by Les Lepedus (sp?) who owned Archway. The MSO from Shelby to Archway is dated February 12th, about two weeks prior to the announcement ad.

The ad title reads "Mustang GT350", which was the official name of the car at the time and listed as its trade name on the MSO, which also recites "285 HP", a rating duplicated in the ad. As we know, the GT350's rating was subsequently increased to 306. The ad text begins by referring to it as the "Meanest Mustang" - a phrase that also appears on a sign placed on the roof of 006 when Archway displayed it at the Baltimore World Of Wheels show, where the first retail owner purchased it on March 5, 1965.

I am fortunate to have a copy of the MSO and some photos, which are attached. I am still looking for photos from the Philly Auto Show. The Philadelphia Inquirer had several days of show coverage, but the GT350 is mentioned in only one small photo article, obviously written from a press release, that does not mention its presence at the show. But maybe someone has a snapshot taken there. If you do, I would like to hear from you!

In the Advertisement, isn't that Shelby parked in front of Shelby's Office?

Killer history,thanks for sharing this.

Coralsnake

You have got some rare stuff there Mr Collins
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bill Collins

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 10, 2023, 07:03:53 AM
In the Advertisement, isn't that Shelby parked in front of Shelby's Office?

The photo was taken in front of 3217 - 3219 Carter Avenue, which is around the corner from 1042 Princeton where  Shelby's office was located. Carter was where the early GT350 production took place.

I attached another view of the car that clearly shows the front entrance with the address, plus a closeup of the front doors.

These photos, along with many others of Carter Avenue GT350 production, originally appeared in this Forum thread started by Szabo from Germany - Thanks!:
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6308.0
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

CharlesTurner

That's 5S003 in the Carter Ave. pics.  If I remember right, it's the only set of photos taken (by Brock) with Cragars on the driver side.  This picture was taken before 003 was prepared to meet current 'GT350' specs, so it could be sold.  It still has the hand-painted lettering on the fenders and a radio antenna can be seen in the pics.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bill Collins

Quote from: CharlesTurner on July 11, 2023, 12:16:13 AM
That's 5S003 in the Carter Ave. pics.  If I remember right, it's the only set of photos taken (by Brock) with Cragars on the driver side.  This picture was taken before 003 was prepared to meet current 'GT350' specs, so it could be sold.  It still has the hand-painted lettering on the fenders and a radio antenna can be seen in the pics.

Thanks Charles - I suspected it may have been 003 but was unable to confirm that when I wrote the post. I did notice the rocker stripe lettering.

Szabo

Very nice story, cool Pics and thanks for the Link to my thread ...
The best for me is to have a 100percent bullet proof date of the Advertisment,
so it is clear the Pics are made befor these date.

i always have a lot of trouble to belief that the GT350 in Front of Carter Ave is 5003,
but i am not a troublemaker so i keep my opinon mostly for me.

it is telled in every book or brochure that the Car in Front of Carter is 5003 ...

The Point for my belief that it is not 5003  shows this, for me unkown, dark little stripe on the door,
near the handle and wears on both side the Cragars.

The latest Pic from 5003 is made around 20 May 1965 in the LAX Race Hangar still shows the Steelies,

Anyway, what i know is that the Pics from "GT350 befor Carter Ave" Shooting is also used on a
Goodyear Blue Dot Advertisment and on the Ford Motorsport Book.

Greetings from Germany

from these Ford Motorsport Book/Folder ( a Print date would be very helpful)

The Goodyear Advertisment...

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Szabo on August 08, 2023, 05:13:50 PMThe latest Pic from 5003 is made around 20 May 1965 in the LAX Race Hangar still shows the Steelies,
Or - the steel wheels back on it. I imagine the wheels and tires were switched on many occasions while testing and developing. I'd think they were swapped every magazine test - due to excessive wear  :).
I wonder if SA had input into the wheel development? I got a set of BBS wheels off a Motor Trend Chrysler project car that was going to the crusher. I was at CS's Whittier skunk works one day and he looked at my wife's mini van and said those wheels have the wrong backspacing. He pointed at a stack of ones with new Gatorbacks on them and said take those they'll work better. The back space was 1/4" different and I still can't figure out how he could keep all these little details in his head from old projects.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CharlesTurner

Best to start a new topic if wanting to discuss the car in the picture.  BTW, the VIN of 003 is SFM5S003... it had an S as the VIN wasn't assigned until later, which by then the S and R designation was being used. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

Quote from: Szabo on August 08, 2023, 05:13:50 PM
Very nice story, cool Pics and thanks for the Link to my thread ...
The best for me is to have a 100percent bullet proof date of the Advertisment,
so it is clear the Pics are made befor these date.

i always have a lot of trouble to belief that the GT350 in Front of Carter Ave is 5003,
but i am not a troublemaker so i keep my opinon mostly for me.

it is telled in every book or brochure that the Car in Front of Carter is 5003 ...

The Point for my belief that it is not 5003  shows this, for me unkown, dark little stripe on the door,
near the handle and wears on both side the Cragars.

The latest Pic from 5003 is made around 20 May 1965 in the LAX Race Hangar still shows the Steelies,

Anyway, what i know is that the Pics from "GT350 befor Carter Ave" Shooting is also used on a
Goodyear Blue Dot Advertisment and on the Ford Motorsport Book.

Greetings from Germany

from these Ford Motorsport Book/Folder ( a Print date would be very helpful)

The Goodyear Advertisment...

I believe that "Black Stripe" by the Door Handle is a Plastic Piece on the Door Lip to protect it from Dinging something and chipping the Paint.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

CharlesTurner

Quote from: tesgt350 on August 09, 2023, 07:59:48 AM
I believe that "Black Stripe" by the Door Handle is a Plastic Piece on the Door Lip to protect it from Dinging something and chipping the Paint.

Correct, they were put on at the Ford assembly plant.  Can be seen on other period photos at Carter St./Venice and LAX.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge