News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hood Hinge Phosphate Finish

Started by rcgt350, July 17, 2023, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcgt350

I have my hood hinges out to be phosphate finished, they can do Medium Grey( wet concrete) of Dark Grey, what would be the consensus on the tone?
Also same for the hood latch, but I think the latch should be the darker one.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on July 17, 2023, 05:11:41 PM
I have my hood hinges out to be phosphate finished, they can do Medium Grey( wet concrete) of Dark Grey, what would be the consensus on the tone?
Also same for the hood latch, but I think the latch should be the darker one.
Both are typically a medium gray . Dark gray is not a typical finish on those parts. You would most likely get push back if  you used dark gray.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rcgt350

I was hoping you'd say that Bob, I'll go with the medium version, he said he can also give it a Grainy Chrystalline finish by media blasting with a 60 grit media, have you heard of or seen that finish before?

Special Ed

hood hinge springs are darker than the hinges and latches.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on July 17, 2023, 10:27:36 PM
I was hoping you'd say that Bob, I'll go with the medium version, he said he can also give it a Grainy Chrystalline finish by media blasting with a 60 grit media, have you heard of or seen that finish before?
I have seen that finish but don't think it is appropriate in this case. Take note of what Ed posted in that the spring for the hinges are typically darker shade of gray then the hinges. I would not phosphate the springs however because the phosphate process has a tendency to make the spring metal brittle. I would use a quick black process for those because gun bluing can't always get them dark enough. Ether is done at room temperature. Any number of places sell the chemical including Eastwood.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Quote from: rcgt350 on July 17, 2023, 10:27:36 PM

Do not blast hinges with coarse grit media, they were originally smooth.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

rcgt350

Great help guys! Will stay with smooth finish for the hinges and latch in the lighter gray. I actually held back sending the springs, so now I can do that finish here.

Many thanks
Randy

rcgt350

Does glass beading then count for a smooth finish for the hood hinges?

I had previously painted the hood latch with Eastwood Phosphate paint, so they're only going to chemically strip it and no media blasting needed.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: rcgt350 on July 18, 2023, 10:27:00 PM

I had previously painted the hood latch with Eastwood Phosphate paint, so they're only going to chemically strip it and no media blasting needed.

It depends on how coarse the glass bead is.  Most places that offer phosphate services probably just want clean parts with no paint.  Check with them, they may not require parts to be blasted.

I usually use a fine grade glass bead at lower pressure, about 50-75psi.  The most important part of the process is making sure it's clean and free of grease/oils.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on July 18, 2023, 10:27:00 PM

I agree with Charles glass beads as described should not have no ill visual effect on the appearance of the finish once phospated. The phosphate process once done covers up any light glass beading effects. 

Special Ed

The best way is metal dipping chemicals or ready clean electical in tanks done it both ways last 25 years and it dont distort the metal finish and gets in the between the rivets .  4 years ago we Did 100 western pit free hood hinges i collected on southwest trips dipped them then phosphated them all 1 weekend and used dark maganese on the springs and oiled them matched them up in pairs and sold them within a month