News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 Shelby GT500 Cobra Jet Convertible

Started by cob4ra, July 20, 2023, 03:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cob4ra

This Shelby was never supposed to be sold per the dealer that ordered it for himself in 1969. One of his best fleet buyers saw it and wanted to buy it. Was turned down until the He
Offered to purchase a fleet of 15 Ford trucks if he would sell him the Shelby .the deal was made , soon after that he moved to Palmdale near Palm Springs and took it to Palm Springs car shows. My late friend Bill fell in love with it and tried to buy it for 11 years . Finally convinced the original owner to let him buy it . Miles were in the 38k range, now with only 46k miles it's still stunning. A dry desert car, no seen rust or collisions , vin stamped on the back of the block " 1542 ". Was dark jade and now Wimbledon white because hot desert sun made it cooler for the hot days there . Should be starting on bring a trailer later today.
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

shelbymann1970

Can't wait to see it and probably comment on it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

cob4ra

Thanks and welcoming any comments . Also to pick up more knowledge of the 69 Shelby, as a Hero member you have forgotten more than I know about this one. After driving and putting it up on my lift to take the dust off and do a few things , I think it's one of the finest originals around. Not done to today's concours level. More of a loved 80/90's level. I love the original mint condition interior with AC, Power steering ( none was on my 66) and the factory 8 track
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

Coralsnake

If I can offer some advice, based on what I have seen on BaT:

Its okay to have your opinion and share it. Personally, I would avoid saying things like its "the best around". Because at that point you are comparing it to all Shelbys. BaT commenters will attack things like that.

It looks like a nice car, but best around is a very high bar. Thats my opinion, good luck!
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Beautiful car. I have high hopes that it will do well. I can understand why a color change given the Palm springs location. Black Jade which the cars original color is my favorite 69/70 color however. I agree with Coralsnake about best around or similar type comments. from just the one underside view I see a later replacement alternator ,fuel pump ,power steering hoses , strut rod bushings and washers and wrong repro Autolite FL1 filter. This is just to name a few there are a number of more.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

cob4ra

Coralsnake , I completely understand,it's such a nice one but I need to curb my personal feelings and humble my remarks as of course there is some much nicer and correct as Bob Gaines is pointing out . , Bob it definitely is not up to today's standards. A person like you could take it up levels without spending a bunch I think?

Coralsnake

I hope it does well. I just think there a lot of Jabronis that have nothing better to do than tear cars apart. 

I havent seen one yet that couldnt be improved. It just depends on what your budget is... 😉

cob4ra

Coralsnake and Bob Gaines thank you for your comments, sincerely, I've been amazed at this car since I was entrusted its care to get it ready.  I lost a close friend , I know I need to handle it correctly. He was happy and only 66 also a Shelby enthusiast like us . He never would have sold it. Someone will be getting a really cared for Shelby . Only two owners. I have a binder overflowing with receipts from both owners. BAT just messaged me that starting time is now tomorrow . It's good to be part of our SAAC. Community.

shelbydoug

For what it's worth, I don't think that you need to hype the car at all. The people interested will know what it is.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cob4ra on July 20, 2023, 07:08:10 PM
Coralsnake and Bob Gaines thank you for your comments, sincerely, I've been amazed at this car since I was entrusted its care to get it ready.  I lost a close friend , I know I need to handle it correctly. He was happy and only 66 also a Shelby enthusiast like us . He never would have sold it. Someone will be getting a really cared for Shelby . Only two owners. I have a binder overflowing with receipts from both owners. BAT just messaged me that starting time is now tomorrow . It's good to be part of our SAAC. Community.
That says it all.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Good luck on the sale. I know a guy who is going the extra mile to try and find numbers on his drag pack Mach1 on BaT right now. The block date lines up perfectly as well as other components and with being a low miles survivor we are pretty sure it is the original engine(all prior owners say such and it was stored for decades) but the BaT community wants the see the stamped numbers on the engine so be prepared if you don't have pics of them and the car has the original engine/trans try and get some pics of them or some will harp on it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

cob4ra

Thanks shelbymann1970 , more great info and help , this will be a learning experience at my young age of 73 in august.
The 81542 looks like he sneezed as the 4 and 2 are touching,

Coralsnake

I think its been demonstrated multiple times the people asking those questions dont know what to do with the information when they do have it.

Kudos for going the extra miles

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 21, 2023, 04:50:57 AM
Good luck on the sale. I know a guy who is going the extra mile to try and find numbers on his drag pack Mach1 on BaT right now. The block date lines up perfectly as well as other components and with being a low miles survivor we are pretty sure it is the original engine(all prior owners say such and it was stored for decades) but the BaT community wants the see the stamped numbers on the engine so be prepared if you don't have pics of them and the car has the original engine/trans try and get some pics of them or some will harp on it.

I would always double check any factory drag pack cars...
Their engines had a reputation of being replaced because of the 391/430s...