News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The true story of the 4th from the last 1965 gt350 sn 5S558

Started by mr5oa, July 21, 2023, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 24, 2023, 09:02:36 AM
A week later, my car #100, shows up on eBay.  That's right, 1 number off from my holy grail car.  Bret went out to Vegas and wrangled the car for me.

I remember the story about the seller being "a little difficult" to deal with. That being an understatement.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

69 GT350 Vert

Yes. He was trying to title skip Nevada and called me at midnight once.  He said he had a bad night "at the tables" and needed me to wire $5k immediately if I wanted the car.  I told him to keep the car and not to call me again. 

A few weeks later I was talking to Bret about something else and told him the story about a really good car owned by a difficult person. Bret said, I am good at dealing with difficult people and I can get it for you, which he did.

I guess the point is that sometimes when you don't get the holy grail, you end up with something even better.

FL SAAC

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 24, 2023, 09:18:24 AM
Yes. He was trying to title skip Nevada and called me at midnight once.  He said he had a bad night "at the tables" and needed me to wire $5k immediately if I wanted the car.  I told him to keep the car and not to call me again. 

A few weeks later I was talking to Bret about something else and told him the story about a really good car owned by a difficult person. Bret said, I am good at dealing with difficult people and I can get it for you, which he did.

I guess the point is that sometimes when you don't get the holy grail, you end up with something even better.

Love it , dont make any concessions to terrorists  !

One of my favorite movies academy award winning " Raid on Entebbe " (Operation Thunderbolt)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Chad

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 24, 2023, 09:02:36 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 24, 2023, 07:35:20 AM
I'm still trying to understand the point of the entire post? What is this all about?

I think it's the story about a Hanging Chad.  :D

Im guessing it is about a Shelby that got away from someone with a strong history and attachment to the car.  That happened to me with a 69 convertible gt350 I first saw in 1979.  I posted a wanted ad for a dash pad in the Pittsburgh press.  A respondent said I have one, but you have to remove it from the car.  Low and behold, it is in Shelby number 99, and the owner was installing factory ac.  I was 15 and putting a tach dash and cluster in my 70 Mach 1.  I had never seen a Shelby before, but I was hooked after seeing a red on white convertible. 

I tried to buy the car over the next 30 years but without success.  Finally, I am at a Boy Scouts popcorn function and a guy is talking about a red Shelby convertible recently sold.  I get the contact info and spend 2 years trying to buy it from a dealer near Pittsburgh.  I offered up to 130k for the car that was disassembled and had a replacement fender apron. I didn't care that I was paying above market. I acted as an advisor on the shops restoration of the car, and it was judged at saac34 beaver run.  They kept raising the price and it seemed like they were trying to gouge me because of my attachment.

I decided to look for another Shelby convertible.  A week later, my car #100, shows up on eBay.  That's right, 1 number off from my holy grail car.  Bret went out to Vegas and wrangled the car for me.
My car turned out to be a rust free California black plate car with original drivetrain that matched.  And as an added bonus, it was $40k less, and didn't need putting together.

;D

69 GT350 Vert

Number 99 has an interesting history that includes the death of the owner in a motorcycle crash, a falsified will by the widow, and a lengthy estate battle between the widow and 3 children who were left with $1 each.  It was tied up in the court so long I gave up on it.

FL SAAC

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 24, 2023, 10:08:36 AM
Number 99 has an interesting history that includes the death of the owner in a motorcycle crash, a falsified will by the widow, and a lengthy estate battle between the widow and 3 children who were left with $1 each.  It was tied up in the court so long I gave up on it.

The plot thickens  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 24, 2023, 10:08:36 AM......an interesting history that includes the death of the owner .......a falsified will ...... tied up in the court ........
Sounds like the original Daytona Coupe. But a couple million more from the buyer (for the papers) ended the court part in record time.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 24, 2023, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 24, 2023, 12:16:42 PM
Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 24, 2023, 10:08:36 AM......an interesting history that includes the death of the owner .......a falsified will ...... tied up in the court ........
Sounds like the original Daytona Coupe. But a couple million more from the buyer (for the papers) ended the court part in record time.

Getty better than Nancy Drew.....do tell !
Basically owner (daughter of Phil Specter's deceased body guard) gave signed pink with keys to car and storage space to a friend. She then committed suicide. Mom was contacted by broker on behalf of buyer with millions and sold car. Friend who had been given car went to storage and found car gone. Filed theft report. New buyer didn't want to turn loose of car. Mom said she had spent/given away all the money (within a week of getting it) so she couldn't give money back. Ends up in court settlement is reached when new buyer coughs up another couple million to the friend for the title bringing total to 6+ million. Mom got off scott free for her theft and sale of the car and wasn't worth suing since she didn't have 2 nickels to rub together.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 24, 2023, 09:19:35 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on July 24, 2023, 09:15:58 PM
Quote from: mr5oa on July 21, 2023, 09:05:52 PM
Is anyone interested in my story?

Yes , tell us !

You should get a life and find something constructive to do with your time.

Gotta agree. We've tried to fill in space and pique his interest but I guess the noob really doesn't have a story to tell.

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

Unfortunately, I dont think Vic is going to tell his story.

A lot was said in his early posts, about how someone "stole" his dream. Those people bought the car from his dad.  I dont believe they stole anything.

A lot was also revealed when he decided not to tell "his" story because of a off handed comment.

....and yes you have me to "blame"  thank for that.

This is not group therapy. Best to you Vic, I hope you get things worked out and stop blaming strangers for your issues.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

mr5oa

You seem to think you know me somehow? but your off hand comment was a bit off putting and my reply was that the forum has you to blame for me not wanting to tell my story. if I don't tell the story because of you there are no two ways around it you are to blame!  The truly ugly message that you sent was uncalled for and very mean spirited. Maybe somehow you think I am going to let that slide because you are mr big Shot on this site, So I posed your message to me for all to see what a nice guy you are! I have done nothing to be embarrassed about, and will I ask the forum if they agree? You are nothing to me unless you happen to be Craig> if so you do not want this story told and you know it! either way, maybe you have inspired me to tell it  I have yet to write ahole Love Victor >pictures offered to lighten the mood, My mother/my angel and Skip Hudson's Lancer sponsored Lola T70
I do models

trotrof1

If I had a dollar for every lost a car story, I would give it to a go fund me for therapy for these poor souls.

mr5oa

Quote from: mr5oa on July 25, 2023, 11:51:15 AM
You seem to think you know me somehow? but your off hand comment was a bit off putting and my reply was that the forum has you to blame for me not wanting to tell my story. if I don't tell the story because of you there are no two ways around it you are to blame!  The truly ugly message that you sent was uncalled for and very mean spirited. Maybe somehow you think I am going to let that slide because you are mr big Shot on this site, So I posed your message to me for all to see what a nice guy you are! I have done nothing to be embarrassed about, and will I ask the forum if they agree? You are nothing to me unless you happen to be Craig> if so you do not want this story told and you know it! either way, maybe you have inspired me to tell it  I have yet to write ahole Love Victor >pictures offered to lighten the mood, My mother/my angel and Skip Hudson's Lancer sponsored Lola T70
Quote from: Coralsnake on July 25, 2023, 07:46:28 AM
Unfortunately, I dont think Vic is going to tell his story.

A lot was said in his early posts, about how someone "stole" his dream. Those people bought the car from his dad.  I dont believe they stole anything.

A lot was also revealed when he decided not to tell "his" story because of a off handed comment.

....and yes you have me to "blame"  thank for that.

This is not group therapy. Best to you Vic, I hope you get things worked out and stop blaming strangers for your issues.
I do models

Corey Bowcutt

Either tell your story or don't.  I really do not understand this tickling our a$$es with a feather approach.  It seems to support Pete's inference.

Corey