News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Opinions of this antenna: Part 2

Started by aj, July 30, 2023, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj

I'd like to hear expert opinions about the antenna in these photos.  Specifically the antenna that i've labeled as "maybe original".    The other antenna in the photos i recently bought from ebay vendor that routinely sells inoperative (but nice) version of the original.   Also i'd like to hear opinions re: the coax cable.   Thanks

Bob Gaines

I don't know about expert just that I know more then most it seems as it relates to Shelby and the antenna.  The one you have marked" maybe original" I do not believe was original to a Shelby. It is however I believe a vintage PM300 original for another application. The reason is that it is too long. The ones that are original to a Shelby are typically approximately 13 inch's or slightly shorter from the bottom edge of the PM300 base to the end of the crimp on the tube. They will not sit straight up and down what with the trunk mat and cardboard wheelhouse trunk floor extension. It will work but you will have to tilt it . This is not to say some didn't leave the dealer with them tilted just that the length precludes it from being installed straight up and down like many with out forcing it down to or through the trunk mat and cardboard. When installed vertical originals typically didn't touch the trunk mat. In the past most of the ones that I have found separate from cars were the same length as yours are even longer. I have to cut them down and recrimp them to a proper length . I am sure that is what the antenna vendor does . He just leaves them too long IMO. Other then the length you could use the one marked "maybe original" as a original yardstick when comparing differences to others.  If you are going to use ether on a Shelby and want it to look more like a factory one then I would cut the tube at the beginning of the crimp and re crimp the end . But that is just me. The coaxial cable looks typical to others that I have seen on Shelby's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 30, 2023, 04:12:07 PM
I don't know about expert just that I know more then most it seems as it relates to Shelby and the antenna.  The one you have marked" maybe original" I do not believe was original to a Shelby. It is however I believe a vintage PM300 original for another application. The reason is that it is too long. The ones that are original to a Shelby are typically approximately 13 inch's or slightly shorter from the bottom edge of the PM300 base to the end of the crimp on the tube. They will not sit straight up and down what with the trunk mat and cardboard wheelhouse trunk floor extension. It will work but you will have to tilt it . This is not to say some didn't leave the dealer with them tilted just that the length precludes it from being installed straight up and down like many with out forcing it down to or through the trunk mat and cardboard. When installed vertical originals typically didn't touch the trunk mat. In the past most of the ones that I have found separate from cars were the same length as yours are even longer. I have to cut them down and recrimp them to a proper length . I am sure that is what the antenna vendor does . He just leaves them too long IMO. Other then the length you could use the one marked "maybe original" as a original yardstick when comparing differences to others.  If you are going to use ether on a Shelby and want it to look more like a factory one then I would cut the tube at the beginning of the crimp and re crimp the end . But that is just me. The coaxial cable looks typical to others that I have seen on Shelby's.

So a PM-300 that is 13.25" is not an original? Or is that what you meant as "approximately"?

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bill on July 30, 2023, 04:19:06 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 30, 2023, 04:12:07 PM

So a PM-300 that is 13.25" is not an original? Or is that what you meant as "approximately"?

Bill
I said approximately because I meant approximately. They varied in length slightly.  The defining factor as I also said but will repeat here is that the tube was short enough that you do not have to push down the tube into the trunk mat material when the antenna is positioned vertical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

Where do you get the repro version?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

aj

Yep.  That's where the one in my photo came from

Special Ed

Your original used antenna is correct lenght.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on July 30, 2023, 11:00:50 PM
Your original used antenna is correct lenght.
I will agree to disagree. They're always exceptions. Not typical IMO unless you can stand it up straight if dealer installed that way.

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

Special Ed

Just checked 5 of my original pm-300 shelby antennas  and the tube lenghts are 13 3/4''  and the repo was made from an original i sent to joel metro parts back years ago to make since he bought out a huge antenna inventory that made parts for gm mopar and ford and he had lots of parts to assemble factory antennas. The pm-300 was an old pontiac rear mount antenna and i have found them in junk yards back years ago and they have a longer lenght tube than the shelby and thats why the shelby antenna mast dont go down all the way like the old pontiacs did that had longer tubes. I have 1 shortened shelby antenna and u can tell by the end of tube it had been cut off and the crimping isnt the same and i shortened some pontiac antennas years ago to 13 3/4'' like my originals.  If u shorten the tube then the mast sticks up higher out of the car of which is noticeable.  Remember the dealer installed the antennas and being unique to the 69-70 shelbys mounted in rear quarter so depending on  where the the guy cut the hole they could fit differently and some dealers may have shortened them or restoration shops etc over the years. Also the quarter panels are different between fastback and convertibles. So check the tube end cut and crimp to an unmolested shelby antenna and see if its been shortened.

Bill

Quote from: Special Ed on July 31, 2023, 11:15:03 AM
Just checked 5 of my original pm-300 shelby antennas  and the tube lenghts are 13 3/4''  and the repo was made from an original i sent to joel metro parts back years ago to make since he bought out a huge antenna inventory that made parts for gm mopar and ford and he had lots of parts to assemble factory antennas. The pm-300 was an old pontiac rear mount antenna and i have found them in junk yards back years ago and they have a longer lenght tube than the shelby and thats why the shelby antenna mast dont go down all the way like the old pontiacs did that had longer tubes. I have 1 shortened shelby antenna and u can tell by the end of tube it had been cut off and the crimping isnt the same and i shortened some pontiac antennas years ago to 13 3/4'' like my originals.  If u shorten the tube then the mast sticks up higher out of the car of which is noticeable.  Remember the dealer installed the antennas and being unique to the 69-70 shelbys mounted in rear quarter so depending on  where the the guy cut the hole they could fit differently and some dealers may have shortened them or restoration shops etc over the years. Also the quarter panels are different between fastback and convertibles. So check the tube end cut and crimp to an unmolested shelby antenna and see if its been shortened.

Thanks Ed, makes me feel a bit more comfortable that the antenna in my 70 GT350 convertible is original.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0