News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Buyer beware of Hertz wheel on Ebay

Started by Bob Gaines, July 30, 2023, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

"Will need restored"

I not an English major, but thats not correct either.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

67 GT350

Is the Mopar wheel have the same specs? Measurements...

(thought I would throw some bad English to compliment the ebay auction)
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on July 31, 2023, 10:18:09 AM
Is the Mopar wheel have the same specs? Measurements...

(thought I would throw some bad English to compliment the ebay auction)
No it is slightly different. It uses the same rim and same center but the offset is different. That is why I said it is close but no cigar.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gjz30075

Bob, if a restoration of a wheel means separating the rim from the center section (an assumption), could the offset then be
corrected, and then have a proper Hertz wheel?
Greg Z
6S2249

deathsled

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 30, 2023, 09:19:39 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325751596219. Looks like a Mopar wheel to me. Close but no cigar.
Subsequent generations will not pick up on such subtleties. Bob, you really should write a detailed manual on spotting what is real and what is not, what is correct and what is not as it applies to the Shelby world.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gjz30075 on August 01, 2023, 05:05:34 AM
Bob, if a restoration of a wheel means separating the rim from the center section (an assumption), could the offset then be
corrected, and then have a proper Hertz wheel?
Where there is a will there is a way. You can easily get to a point of diminished return cost and stress wise on a project like this in time and material. The problem is since the offset needs to be moved to the rear to look like a Hertz wheel the section where it was cut becomes a problem to smooth out enough so that the cut area does not show up in the chrome once redone.  It is not worth doing unless you can get the desired look of a hertz wheel IMO. The ones I have seen done from modifying a Mopar wheel showed a very noticeable undesirable defect in that area compared to a genuine Hertz wheel. You will have to add material and then grind down and polish out any defect before chroming. That extra effort will add significant price to the project.The Hertz wheel is the same as the regular GT350 wheel except one is painted and the Hertz is chrome plated.To me it could most effectively be used to possibly make a good candidate for a regular (if there is such a thing) 66 GT350 painted wheel. Any defect could be body worked out before welding together and painted. Of course you have to consider that that the wheel restorer most likely will have to have someone else do the bodywork on the defect so just another faucet of the whole project.  The defect is very difficult to bodywork once the wheel is welded together given the close quarters to the center to the rim. The cost of doing the conversion has to be taken into consideration when deciding if it makes sense for a given situation. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on August 01, 2023, 10:45:30 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 30, 2023, 09:19:39 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325751596219. Looks like a Mopar wheel to me. Close but no cigar.
Subsequent generations will not pick up on such subtleties. Bob, you really should write a detailed manual on spotting what is real and what is not, what is correct and what is not as it applies to the Shelby world.
I will add it to the to do list .  ;)