News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

No Title - Sold on Bill of Sale

Started by Corey Bowcutt, August 02, 2023, 07:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I live in Maryland and am looking at a car that is sold with no title - sold on bill of sale only.  What will this mean to me as far as registering the car in Maryland?  Can I get a title in Maryland off a bill of sale on a 60 year old car?

Thank you,

Corey

FL SAAC

I don't know in Maryland but in Floridaland:

For the buyer, the bill of sale serves as a basic requirement for either registering the vehicle or transferring the title of the newly-purchased vehicle.

I guess if you have all documents authorized or notarized showing seller , buyer amount of transaction you will be OK.

In FL we have one more step when it comes from another state,  we need to have law enforcement verify its v.i.n. vs the title.

Best of luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

Why does the "owner" not have a title....?

Is it the old, "I never got the title from the previous owner." Which translates to ,I tried to "open title it" because I am flipping it...gig.

If he is the last registered owner, there is no excuse they cannot get a title for you.
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

Several states are "no title" states for old cars.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on August 02, 2023, 07:10:03 AM
I live in Maryland and am looking at a car that is sold with no title - sold on bill of sale only.  What will this mean to me as far as registering the car in Maryland?  Can I get a title in Maryland off a bill of sale on a 60 year old car?

Thank you,

Corey

In Maryland the owner needs to have a title in order to operate or sell the car. You need the seller to get a legal title. Otherwise don't buy the car.

A Maryland car title is a legal document that establishes vehicle ownership. As such, motorists must apply for an auto title whenever a vehicle changes ownership. However, drivers need to obtain both a vehicle title and a registration certificate before they may operate a motor vehicle on state roads.

https://www.dmv.com/md/maryland/new-car-title?tg1=DVA&utm_content=dmv.com&utm_medium=dmv_&tg7=dmv_&utm_source=dmv.com&tg9=dmv.com&utm_term=organic_dmv&utm_campaign=organic_dmv
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

98SVT - was 06GT

Here is the info straight from MD DMV: https://mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/Pages/registration/title-registration-info.aspx#:~:text=If%20the%20title%20was%20issued,submitted%20as%20proof%20of%20ownership.
Proof of ownership - The vehicle's current title has to be properly assigned to you. If the title was issued in Maryland, it can be used as your application for titling and registering the vehicle. If the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership, a registration document and a bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership.

They might issue you a "transferable registration" and not a title. In CA if you want the title you need to post a bond for the value of the car - I think it was for 3 years (a guy at work brought a car from NY and had to do this). If no other claim shows up in that time you can quit paying the bond and they will reissue a non-branded title.

All that said Pennsylvania requires a valid title or a manufacturer's certificate of origin in order to transfer ownership of a car. If the vehicle is coming from a state that does not require a title (as with some older model vehicles), contact PennDOT to determine how to satisfy this requirement.
It appears that PA is a state that issues titles for everything - A title could have been surrendered to DMV is the car was junked at some point so a bill of sale from a salvage yard may help getting a new title issued.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bill

Thank you,

Corey

Corey,

What state are you buying the car out of? This will make a big difference as to whether you will be able to title it in Maryland.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

67 GT350

I forget to mention, possibly Maryland is a non-title state for vehicles that are a certain age.....NY is a non-title state for pre-1973 cars.....Joke.
RARE  Signature Delete

Corey Bowcutt

Quote from: Bill on August 02, 2023, 01:29:04 PM

Thank you,

Corey

Corey,

What state are you buying the car out of? This will make a big difference as to whether you will be able to title it in Maryland.

Bill

The car is in Pennsylvania but I do not know if it is registered in PA or not.  I am going to look at the car on Friday and will learn a whole lot more.

Corey

Royce Peterson

If this is a non-operable car coming from another state, you are OK getting a bill of sale. One of those and an insurance card with the vehicle VIN will be needed to get a Maryland title and yes Maryland will require a title as they have for decades. Depending on your insurance policy there might be a bond needed too.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bill

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on August 02, 2023, 02:26:37 PM
Corey,

Bill

The car is in Pennsylvania but I do not know if it is registered in PA or not.  I am going to look at the car on Friday and will learn a whole lot more.

Corey
[/quote]

If the car is registered in PA, then it MUST come with a title to legally sell it.
https://www.dmv.pa.gov/VEHICLE-SERVICES/Vehicle-Information/Pages/Selling.aspx

If it is from NJ, Ohio, Maryland, it too must have a title, in NY state, anything earlier than 1973 did not have a title, but a transferable registration card where the seller would sign the back of it in the appropriate spot....It too will have the VIN associated with it.

Otherwise, a VIN search will be required by the PA state police, paperwork filled out (google it), and then the seller can sell you the vehicle in question. I personally do not suggest swapping any funds until a legal ownership of the vehicle can be established.

Bill

gt350shelb

i would be very leery of that deal / titling it in md will be a pain in ass  if it can  be done at all.  what era is the car .? I look at these cars as parts cars only. because the problems  that can surface  former owners ect . are not worth the trouble . and i live in md .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Corey Bowcutt

Has anyone ever used one of these titling services like Broadway Title or getnewtitle.com? They presumably for a substantial fee get you a title in 6 weeks.

The car I am looking at is a 60s convertible Mustang.

Corey

67 GT350

Quote from: gt350shelb on August 02, 2023, 08:23:08 PM
i would be very leery of that deal / titling it in md will be a pain in ass  if it can  be done at all.  what era is the car .? I look at these cars as parts cars only. because the problems  that can surface  former owners ect . are not worth the trouble . and i live in md .

PLUS 1
RARE  Signature Delete

Bill

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on August 02, 2023, 09:11:25 PM
Has anyone ever used one of these titling services like Broadway Title or getnewtitle.com? They presumably for a substantial fee get you a title in 6 weeks.

The car I am looking at is a 60s convertible Mustang.

Corey

Corey,

You'll have to jump through lots of legal hoops, with the seller involved. Broadway title and Getnewtitle are not the answer towards legal ownership. If the seller is not willing to go through Harrisburg to get a new title in their name (if it was even in their name, or from PA), then you need to walk away from the car, or risk loosing your money should the car come up as stolen in the past, or part of a legal proceeding in the past (Divorce, bankruptcy, or other loss of real property). At this point, before you do anything else, I'd call your attorney and ask him/her what they think......

Bill