News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

14” 1966 chrome Shelby magnum 500 wheel

Started by paul, August 03, 2023, 06:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

I was asked to post for a friend. I think it's an original that was re-chromed several years ago. Has blemishes , scratches in the rim where center meets the rim hoop(improper care given while setting backspace?). Pictures available on request. $400. Paul.

paul

Bob Gaines

Paul, the offset is different then it should be for a Shelby. The rim should be more offset to the outside.   Consequently it is not correct for a 66 Hertz or regular GT350.  It looks like the more common MOPAR wheel to me.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Someone has taken a MOPAR wheel and cut the center out to try and make a Hertz wheel . They changed the offset but by doing so the change in position (moving center rearward in the rim) uncovers the uneven cut area. it is hard to smooth out the cut area enough that it doesn't show up in the chrome.  That is what the imperfection in the chrome looks like when this is done most of the time. It is hard to tell because of the reflection but it does not look like the offset was enough for a typical Hertz wheel. I tried to show a picture of the more substantial offset of a Hertz wheel. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

Mr Bob Gains
I got to give you the utmost respect (even though you  are a wise guy!) lol, really kidding....but,  thanks for showing me the good, bad, and the wrong!
RARE  Signature Delete

paul

Bill Collins

Also note the wheel in question appears to have a 2 1/8" diameter center hole. Original Hertz Magnums had a 2" diameter center.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017