News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Someone Called Me To Buy My '67 GT500

Started by Clifford, August 11, 2023, 10:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clifford

I got a phone message the other day (Aug. 1st.) on my cell asking me if I wanted to sell my 1967 GT500 Shelby.

I have both a Cell Phone and still have the old Land Line. This guy calls me up on my Cell Phone. Well, my Shelby isn't up for sale and hasn't been offered for sale at any time. I have too many nice cars "in-progress" and my Shelby is the last one I'm planning to get to. I don't broadcast I have this Shelby and I try pretty hard not to give out my cell phone number. If I have to give out a phone number I give out the land line. So I thought it was odd to get a call about my Shelby on my Cell.

Curious, I called the guy back to see what was up. He said he was looking for a 67 GT500 Shelby and he wanted to know if I still had mine and if I was interested in letting it go. I questioned this guy in detail to find out who he was and what his story was. I even asked him straight-out if he was a dealer and was just going to flip my car for a profit? (I'm NOT a fan of professional resellers.) After a long discussion I had the general feeling this guy was on the level, that he wasn't a dealer, and that he said wanted it for his personal use. He also seemed to be aware the the current market values of my Shelby. He wasn't looking for a Trailer Queen nor one that needed a full restoration. I believe he was sincere and was looking for a good driver-quality Shelby model like mine, but I don't really know. He could have been a dealer.His message said his name was Chad Strewer. He specifically asked about my '67 GT500 and asked for me to call him back. His phone number was 831-277-xxxx Monterey, California

I didn't go into detail, but I said mine wasn't currently for sale. We had a polite conversation and he said if anything might change to keep him in mind and let him know. 

The last question I asked him was how he got my number? He told me he looked my name up through the Shelby Registry Book and that he plugged my name into some search program on the internet and got my Cell number that way. My call-back was one of four he was hoping to get back.

I thought this guy was pretty smart it trying to track-down a collector car he was looking for. But I was surprised at how easy it really was for him to get my Cell Phone number.

Anybody get unsolicited offers to sell your Shelby like this or does anybody know this Chad Strewer?

FL SAAC

When the internet or Google is not your friend......
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

You can request the Registries withhold your name if you are concerned about it.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

tesgt350

I have been getting Calls on my Cell for a couple Years now from Realters wanting to buy my House.  I got one two weeks ago.  They see that Houses in my area sell for $200K to $250K and look up my Address to see that I only paid $90K and see $$$$$.  I tell them sure, I sell it, for $190K BUT, you have to guarantee that you can match my Interest Rate of 2.74%.  For some reason, they don't call me back.  If they want something, they find a way to contact you.

BDT 739

Clifford I got a call as well. Told him I do not have any cars for sale. After hanging up with him I thought I should of asked the questions you did.  If you google his phone number it shows he is some kind of dealer and shows up on the other Shelby forum. Chad Struer
USA Diligence
Vehicle Locators and Due Diligence

Bob Gaines

"I even asked him straight-out if he was a dealer and was just going to flip my car for a profit?" Big surprise that he denied being a dealer or flipper and said he was going to use it for his personal use. ::) I don't begrudge someone trying to make a buck as long as it is not hurting the person the buck is coming from . If you want to sell a car and your asking price is met no harm no foul IMO. If you can't stand leaving money on the table then that is on you so do your research.  I would venture a penny against a dollar that at least 9 times out of 10 you will get that "I am not a dealer" answer if you pose the question the way you did. If he found you the way he did and said what he said means he may be at the very least a little untruthful but he is apparently not stupid. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

There are several companies that collect "open source" information on people. I think most people would be shocked to see what is available.

shelby1817

I got the same call last week... on my cell also ... I politely told him "I dont know you and I dont know how you got my number but my shelbys are not for sale.  and yes he was specific looking for gt500 67s ....

69 GT350 Vert

I could be wrong, but I have always thought some dealers have "friends" in law enforcement that can run VIN searches to get owner's names and addresses.   When you see a relatively large number of cars that seem to come out of nowhere for sale, it seems suspect to me. 

Coralsnake

You dont even need friends, some states still provide that information

Bill

Quote from: Clifford on August 11, 2023, 10:56:38 AM
I got a phone message the other day (Aug. 1st.) on my cell asking me if I wanted to sell my 1967 GT500 Shelby.

I have both a Cell Phone and still have the old Land Line. This guy calls me up on my Cell Phone. Well, my Shelby isn't up for sale and hasn't been offered for sale at any time. I have too many nice cars "in-progress" and my Shelby is the last one I'm planning to get to. I don't broadcast I have this Shelby and I try pretty hard not to give out my cell phone number. If I have to give out a phone number I give out the land line. So I thought it was odd to get a call about my Shelby on my Cell.

Curious, I called the guy back to see what was up. He said he was looking for a 67 GT500 Shelby and he wanted to know if I still had mine and if I was interested in letting it go. I questioned this guy in detail to find out who he was and what his story was. I even asked him straight-out if he was a dealer and was just going to flip my car for a profit? (I'm NOT a fan of professional resellers.) After a long discussion I had the general feeling this guy was on the level, that he wasn't a dealer, and that he said wanted it for his personal use. He also seemed to be aware the the current market values of my Shelby. He wasn't looking for a Trailer Queen nor one that needed a full restoration. I believe he was sincere and was looking for a good driver-quality Shelby model like mine, but I don't really know. He could have been a dealer.His message said his name was Chad Strewer. He specifically asked about my '67 GT500 and asked for me to call him back. His phone number was 831-277-xxxx Monterey, California

I didn't go into detail, but I said mine wasn't currently for sale. We had a polite conversation and he said if anything might change to keep him in mind and let him know. 

The last question I asked him was how he got my number? He told me he looked my name up through the Shelby Registry Book and that he plugged my name into some search program on the internet and got my Cell number that way. My call-back was one of four he was hoping to get back.

I thought this guy was pretty smart it trying to track-down a collector car he was looking for. But I was surprised at how easy it really was for him to get my Cell Phone number.

Anybody get unsolicited offers to sell your Shelby like this or does anybody know this Chad Strewer?

Strange first post on the forum, as if, and almost like this was a strange and twisted way to get leads on 67 Shelbys for sale.

Strange, but perhaps true, or not.  ::)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

430dragpack

Chad Strewer and another guy named Brett(seemed to be working together) called my father about his the other day.  Completely out of the blue.   Brett passed it on to Chad.

nightmist67

Several years ago, I had received a similar unsolicited call from Chad Strewer about my 1967 Shelby.  Rather than respond to the voice mail, I similarly performed a Google search and identified him as a "vehicle locator".  At that point I placed his number on my list of blocked callers.

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

And here (as noted above)

Chad Struer
USA Due Diligence
Vehicle Locators and Due Diligence
www.usadiligence.com

Looks like a dealer/broker to me 😉

http://www.shelbyforums.com/threads/2-rare-gt350s-for-sale.6557/

http://www.usadiligence.com/forsale.html

Looks like he got himself banned at shelby forums?

(MOD Note - Cell number removed by request)