News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SFM6S1716 at Mecum Dallas

Started by Bobby Crumpley, August 11, 2023, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Crumpley

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

silverton_ford

I don't know any specific details on the car, but I do remember when it was sold at an estate auction back in 2016.  We talked about here on the forum before the forum crashed....

Here is a link to that auction.   There is a link to more pictures and there are quite a few photos of the car in the link, but you have to do some digging to find them.

https://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction/the-ken-brownlee-collection/

Bobby Crumpley

Thanks Brian, looks like one that I would like to look into, so the additional info to what's available in the registry is appreciated.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

Karguy

The rear deck lid and quarter extensions seem to have the same patina as the rest of the cars paint. I may be totally wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that a few of the 66 cars came with rear spoiler's. Truth or urban legend? The registry states it was originally ordered with ten spokes, Detroit locker and although it currently has a rear seat it was also ordered with a package shelf. What a nicely optioned 66, especially if the spoiler is original!
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Karguy on August 16, 2023, 12:00:29 AM
The rear deck lid and quarter extensions seem to have the same patina as the rest of the cars paint. I may be totally wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that a few of the 66 cars came with rear spoiler's. Truth or urban legend? The registry states it was originally ordered with ten spokes, Detroit locker and although it currently has a rear seat it was also ordered with a package shelf. What a nicely optioned 66, especially if the spoiler is original!

Believe Shelby "tested" one car with the rear deck lid spoiler with matching end caps. Believe it might have been 6S319 if I recall correctly.  Shelby did a number of test/experiments. kind of like the T Bird taillight car and there are others but its likely best if those are listed and discussed in their own thread.. 

A few were added to other cars early in their lives. Period version, produced from 66 -68 or so are different from later ones we see more often.

The first ones (made by Berry Plastics) didn't have a provision for a key lock and were opened through the use of a long cable like one designed for remote opening of the hood or for a choke cable for example. There are some other difference between the first ones and the later one. MY wife's 66 had one installed between when it was first sold to the public after Shelby's use and 1972 when I first saw and rode in it. It may have been installed before the car was first sold to the public and following that lead me to look into al the little details connected with the fiberglass trunk lid.  Might be a half dozen or so 65-66's with early/original owners that wanted something different. They ended up on a few Mustangs also but they were not cheap, required paint matching or repainting the car so not many owners with new cars opted for this change. Berry Plastics was located "near" SA.

From a period magazine

Cool day 2 option/accessory.if you like that sort of thing

The one in the auction may have been added at the same time other changes/additions were made.

As a side note there were a couple of places also playing with the idea and general design like the one below though I don't think this ever made it into production. It has four large holes on the bottom surface and not sure how well the factory trunk spring would with the design and weight of the fiberglass trunk lid.

The Anderson Brothers took some of the features they designed for the two Grand American shows cars and attempted to market them as shown in the picture and article below. Not sure if any or how many were made and sold. Never seen one in pictures of in person. On the Grand American there is a lip designed into the rear upper edge of the spoiler. Different from the others

Should stop here before we get too far off thread. :)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

Thanks Jeff for the spoiler history lesson, very interesting. CS certainly got the spoiler design right by 67 with some help from Chuck McHose.
Thanks Bobby for the original post, it will be interesting to see what the car sells for this time around.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

tesgt350

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 16, 2023, 01:36:59 AM
Quote from: Karguy on August 16, 2023, 12:00:29 AM

Believe Shelby "tested" one car with the rear deck lid spoiler with matching end caps. Believe it might have been 6S319 if I recall correctly.  Shelby did a number of test/experiments. kind of like the T Bird taillight car and there are others but its likely best if those are listed and discussed in their own thread.. 

A few were added to other cars early in their lives. Period version, produced from 66 -68 or so are different from later ones we see more often.

The first ones (made by Berry Plastics) didn't have a provision for a key lock and were opened through the use of a long cable like one designed for remote opening of the hood or for a choke cable for example. There are some other difference between the first ones and the later one. MY wife's 66 had one installed between when it was first sold to the public after Shelby's use and 1972 when I first saw and rode in it. It may have been installed before the car was first sold to the public and following that lead me to look into al the little details connected with the fiberglass trunk lid.  Might be a half dozen or so 65-66's with early/original owners that wanted something different. They ended up on a few Mustangs also but they were not cheap, required paint matching or repainting the car so not many owners with new cars opted for this change. Berry Plastics was located "near" SA.

From a period magazine

Cool day 2 option/accessory.if you like that sort of thing

The one in the auction may have been added at the same time other changes/additions were made.

As a side note there were a couple of places also playing with the idea and general design like the one below though I don't think this ever made it into production. It has four large holes on the bottom surface and not sure how well the factory trunk spring would with the design and weight of the fiberglass trunk lid.

The Anderson Brothers took some of the features they designed for the two Grand American shows cars and attempted to market them as shown in the picture and article below. Not sure if any or how many were made and sold. Never seen one in pictures of in person. On the Grand American there is a lip designed into the rear upper edge of the spoiler. Different from the others

Should stop here before we get too far off thread. :)

in 65-66 Ford offered a Remote Trunk Release Option, could that be what was used? 

J_Speegle

Quote from: tesgt350 on August 16, 2023, 08:39:02 AM
in 65-66 Ford offered a Remote Trunk Release Option, could that be what was used?

Someone could have used it but haven't seen an original with one originally installed. Might have been cheaper to use one of the other choices at the time. The Ford kit wasn't very popular or sell well from what I've seen.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bobby Crumpley

Interesting history of the deck lid and end caps, I didn't realize they were available as aftermarket accessories that far back. If I end up with the car they will make interesting garage wall art.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

Royce Peterson

I've been to the Mecum auction in Dallas a few times. You need to be there and see the cars in person. Very different from what you see on TV. Many / most of the cars are low quality and very different from what you see on TV.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bobby Crumpley

Thanks Royce. My dad was in the car business from the 50s until he passed away in 1993. He backed up every car he sold with a warranty, so that meant he never bought auction cars and instilled in me to avoid them like the plague. That said, sometimes a car you like is at an auction, so you have no choice if you want to buy it. Your advice is spot on though, whether it's a late model car or a collector car. Much, much more that can be wrong with an old car as we all know. I will certainly give it a thorough inspection in person if I decide to pursue it.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

CharlesTurner

There's good and bad cars at auctions.  Just like buying outside of an auction, interested buyers should do their due diligence and come to their own conclusions based on in-person inspections.  If in-person is not possible, hire someone out to look it over.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

silverton_ford

Bill Collins

Previously sold for $126,000 by VanDer Brink Auctions as part of the Ken Brownlee sale in Smithville, Missouri in September of 2016. Seven years ago almost to the day.

The reported Mecum price includes the buyer premium - hammer price was $165,000.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017