News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Remembering Ken Miles

Started by FL SAAC, August 17, 2023, 03:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

On Wednesday August 17, 1966 Ken Miles lost his life during a testing session at Riverside, California while driving a prototype GT40. Miles was a key member of the Shelby/Cobra race team in the early 1960s and the main test driver for the effort to improve the Ford GT 40 Mk Il.

After almost a full day of testing at Riverside International Raceway while testing a revolutionary honeycomb panel design intended to both lighten and stiffen the car, Miles approached the end of the track's 1-mile downhill back straight at a top speed of 200-plus mph, when the Ford J-car suddenly looped, flipped, crashed and caught fire. The car broke into pieces and ejected Miles, killing him instantly. Ken Miles was 47 years old. The Ford J-car was intended to be the successor to the all-conquering Ford GT40 Mk Il and was later called the GT-40 Mk-4.

Today we remember Ken and celebrate his contributions to US motorsports and the Ford racing program.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert